Trx-2 simulcast issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
I live in the south side of the city of Richmond and I am having a hard time properly decoding the Hanover county trunked system. I get full signal strength using the factory supplied antenna. When I do get a channel to receive, the audio comes across sounding distorted.
I live in an apartment complex and can’t have exterior antennas. All other trunked systems including Richmond, state police, etc come in just fine!
What can I do?

RichRuiz

Premium Subscriber
Hi Andrew! On the EZ-scan software, under the "TRUNKED SYSTEM" tab:

1) TRUNKED SYSTEM SITE INFORMATION
2) Click on either of the 2 listed sites
3) Under the sites listed is a section labeled MULTI SITE SETTINGS
4) You can change the number values (defaults are between low of 88 and high of 95)
5) Change the low value to, say to start with 50?
6) Click on APPLY TO ALL SITES

If that's the only system you want to monitor, then try adjusting the squelch to its lowest setting (MINIMUM). For me, the audio quality was MUCH better. I had to play around with my low value number to get it where I wanted. Hope this helps!

hill

Premium Subscriber
If you are South of Richmond and not in Hanover County or right near it's border, you are most likely to far to receive it. These P25 Trunked Radio Systems are designed to keep most of the signal within the County.

Having been in that area delivering for work with Hanover County being North of Richmond and having another county Henrico County South of it would be very very hard to decode from to much South.

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I live in the south side of the city of Richmond and I am having a hard time properly decoding the Hanover county trunked system. I get full signal strength using the factory supplied antenna. When I do get a channel to receive, the audio comes across sounding distorted.
I live in an apartment complex and can’t have exterior antennas. All other trunked systems including Richmond, state police, etc come in just fine!
What can I do?
Only way I could get my WS1080 to get P25 Simulcast was to get a Yagi Antenna for inside the Apt with 13db gain* and aim it at the closest site. Forget Mobile .. they won't work ...total hit and miss, they're just not designed for P25 simulcast. I got a Unication G5 pager to fix it all, lived happily ever after.

Last edited by a moderator:

hill

Premium Subscriber
Richmond, Chesterfield, and Henrico are on a shared Trunked Radio System, so these would be easier for you to receive.

VSP is on the STARS Trunked Radio System and it has towers to cover the whole Commonwealth. This VHF system seams easier to receive, than the ones on 700/800. I always enjoy listening to this when down that way.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I see in another thread you said you are two counties South of the one you wish to listen too and is this Hanover County? Like I posted above these one county systems aren't designed to have their RF cover anything, but inside the County. The antenna sites are designed to have the keep the coverage in the the county.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
I can pickup Hanover p25 with no problem with the sds200 in my car with a trunk mount antenna and the sds100 inside my apartment. I’m just wondering what should I change when I can get the Hanover system full signal strength inside my apartment on the Trx-2 but distortion issues?

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
I can pickup Hanover p25 with no problem with the sds200 in my car with a trunk mount antenna and the sds100 inside my apartment. I’m just wondering what should I change when I can get the Hanover system full signal strength inside my apartment on the Trx-2 but distortion issues?
Trx 1 and 2 are known not to do well on simulcast systems i tried everything they said above to get it to work if you can get it with sds 100 inside with just the rubber duck then antenna isn’t going to help the trx

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Okay. Given the negative responses to the issue with the Trx-2, I also have a gre psr-600. Would I do better to use a gre psr-600? It sounds like I might be off?!

goodmore

Premium Subscriber
Distortion drove me crazy trying to monitor my local system. In the end I purchased a G5. Issue solved. If you want to monitor other systems a top of the line Uniden might be your best bet. I spent money on antennas. I moved them around the house. I put one in the attic. I put one outside my window. Nothing worked. And some days depending on the weather it was even worse.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Okay. Given the negative responses to the issue with the Trx-2, I also have a gre psr-600. Would I do better to use a gre psr-600? It sounds like I might be off?!

My experience with the TRX-2 and simulcast systems--in my case it was Fairfax County--has been the worst of any scanner I've ever used. Full stop. YMMV, but I'd advise using any other scanner to monitor a simulcast system. Of course, if you really want to hear what you're missing, go with Johnnydollar2's advice and get a G5--you can pick them up used here very often--they are great!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
My experience with the TRX-2 and simulcast systems--in my case it was Fairfax County--has been the worst of any scanner I've ever used. Full stop. YMMV, but I'd advise using any other scanner to monitor a simulcast system. Of course, if you really want to hear what you're missing, go with Johnnydollar2's advice and get a G5--you can pick them up used here very often--they are great!
People just coming into needing a P25 Simulcast radio are lucky, a lot of the Unication owners are on their 2nd or 3rd radios. The OP can shop in the Classified sections here in RRef and get a lightly used G4/G5 bargain. I still use my WS1080 for analog 460mhz Chicago Police and 477mhz digital Fire monitoring, that's about all though.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast was used little if ant when the Whistler (GRE) and older Uniden scanners were developed. In some situations the Whistler will do a good job, but the Chinese government forced the end of GRE production. Uniden, under the leadership of Paul, was able to produce an entirely new approach. With the move to Phase II and encryption, neither company has shown any desire to invest in a new radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Meaning what? Uniden's new rep has made it clear the company has not given up on the scanner market. What evidence do you have to the contrary, other than your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.