TRX-2 speaker jack low audio output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
A friend just picked up a TRX-2, and is reporting extremely low audio output on an 8 ohm external speaker. These would be those small rectangle speakers you see for scanners and Motorola radios. He reports the audio level on a Uniden 996XT with the same speaker is several times as loud.

I had him push the ADC and DAC levels to +2db, would that be the issue, or is this low audio an issue with these Whistlers?

Paul

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-Whistler low volume

Yes. It's right in the owner's manual where it warns you might need an amplified speaker.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Oh crap...would a Uniden amplified speaker work? 7.5 amplified not the same as passive 7.5, or the TRX just cannot drive anything?

Paul

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX volume

I don't know, I'm sure others will have opinions on it. I just use the Scanner Master Sport Sync radio AUX input with my WS1080 when I really want volume. Even that doesn't help many analog transmissions when I'm in the car. Digital transmissions are ok, I can hear those over the road noise. +2 and +2 should be ok for most things. But if you're in a truck? probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubbe

I have all three speakers in the picture and the two at the right needs volume 7-8 in a quiet room but the one at the left (mine is a GSN6035b) are extreamly sensitive that requires a low volume of 1 or max 2 in the same room.

/Ubbe

05fc07173dfd2ed10b0a51e8ab795b2b_orig.jpg

ScannerSK

Any amplified speaker should work fine as they tend to smooth out any difference in impedance mismatch. The problem is primarily when you hook directly into a non-amplified speaker which has a lower or higher impedance (higher impedance = less amplitude however better protection for the amplifier, lower impedance = greater amplitude however less protection for the amplifier). It's always best to try and match impedance (resistance).

Shawn

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Why? Because there is a resistor in the EARPHONE jack to limit the sound level to the earphone(s). So the 'jack' will not provide the power necessary to drive a speaker. OHM's Law, the earphone has a higher resistance and requires less power, speakers are a low impedance, resistance, and require more current and the resistor limits the current..

Why did they limit the output of the earphone jack? So you do not blow out your ears,

An 'amplified speaker' has a higher input impedance, resistance, much the same as a earphone would.

Joseph11

I use the RadioShack 21-131 speaker with my TRX-2 and get good volume in a large, quiet room keeping my TRX-2 at 5. The speaker is 5 watts at 8 ohms. Excellent volume and clarity.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I use the RadioShack 21-131 speaker with my TRX-2 and get good volume in a large, quiet room keeping my TRX-2 at 5. The speaker is 5 watts at 8 ohms. Excellent volume and clarity.

I'll have to check that out. I need a nice little amplified speaker. Any other suggestions for decent units that will work ok with the TRX?

kf7yn

I use the same Motorola speaker as Ubbe's photo with my TRX-2. Plenty loud in my Silverado.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

milcom_chaser

A friend just picked up a TRX-2, and is reporting extremely low audio output on an 8 ohm external speaker. These would be those small rectangle speakers you see for scanners and Motorola radios. He reports the audio level on a Uniden 996XT with the same speaker is several times as loud.

I had him push the ADC and DAC levels to +2db, would that be the issue, or is this low audio an issue with these Whistlers?

Paul

Have you selected Audio Boost feature per channel? You can do that in EZ Scan for entire scan lists.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I don't think the audio boost feature implies an increase in speaker driver output...it is merely a reference adjustment, and at maximum volume, it would not have any effect.

That weird large Moto speaker seems to be listed as a 5 watt 2 ohm Euro speaker. I am wondering how the standard 8 and 3.2 ohm Moto speakers would work. When I hook an 8ohm Moto speaker to the earphone jack of my TRX-1, the audio is about the same volume as the internal speaker, but with less distortion.

CAN THE TRX2 SAFELY DRIVE A 13WATT 3.2OMH MOTOROLA SPEAKER????

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
So revisiting this issue, as I am hearing the 996P2 suffers the same need for amplification.

Would anyone know if a 3.2ohm 13 watt speaker can be safely driven by the TRX-2? If not, what would be the best (up to $150 per speaker) mobile amplified speaker to get a TRX-2 up to at least the unamplified volume output of a Uniden 996XT? I have a friend who had the Uniden amplified speaker on his TRX-2, and he reported the volume was still way too loud, so he is going back to 996XT's. Would also want an amplified speaker that stays "lit up" at all times, no power cut off between transmissions...the loss of the first second of transmissions is not something I like. I use a full console 12v power on/off toggle for accessories, so always on is not an issue.

I currently use Motorola 8ohm 7.5 watt speakers on my 996XT's mobile, and rarely push them past VOL 20, even competing against road noise and other scanners. :)

Paul

Ubbe

If you have problem using an ampified speaker, then use a level adaptor like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-Car-Converter-High-Low-Adapter-Speaker-to-RCA-Line/192217984979
41qvT94TwLL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The TRX-2 internal speaker also "switch off" and when a transmission starts it fires up during almost a full second before it delivers full audio that makes you miss the first spoken syllables on analog channels. If it didn't do that it would generate even more background noise in idle state than it does now.

/Ubbe

bjizzle

Streaming to broadcastify

I stream my audio to broadcastify from my Trx-2 and when I plug my audio cable into the speaker output I get no sound at all. I can only use the headphone out.

Ed6698

I am pretty sure what was stated in a previous post that a amplified speaker is/may be needed for the TRX 2 is incorrect, that pertains to the handhelds only.That is not even in the manual for the TRX 2 or WS 1095. I have my WS1095 connected to a external speaker almost all the time, I think it sounds better and usually have volume level set at 3 or 4. It is not a amplified speaker and it gets loud when I put the sound on max. Granted I use it in the house, but I cannot see it not being loud enough in a vehicle, unless a person is driving around with the windows down. This is the external speaker I use, a Cobra S300.

Attachments

• speaker.JPG
    speaker.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Ubbe

Would anyone know if a 3.2ohm 13 watt speaker can be safely driven by the TRX-2?

My Motorola GSN6035b are specified as being 2 ohm 5watt that I have been using daily for one year but I usually never go over 2 in volume setting and only use the 4-5 setting when trying to figure out some audio recordings.
The internal speaker is 8 ohm and I don't know how much power the audio amplifier are capable of deliver but if kf7yn use it in his truck with plenty of volume it probably can handle a 3 ohm speaker, but lower the volume as soon as you hear any overdrive distorsion.

/Ubbe

bjizzle

Aw, heck, the P25 P2 transmissions in my area come per-distorted with over modulation. The female dispatcher's voice could peel an orange.
We have an agency like that she yells she broadcasts on an analog and digital channel and when she's on digital the walls shake.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.