TRX-2 Startup Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, Was thrilled when my TRX-2 came in the mail today. I was looking forward to its "up and running fast" promises. Sadly that has not been the case thus far. The first few times I tried to turn on the radio it would display "waiting for main unit" for a period of time, then the screen would go blank. After a few power cycles it finally came on, but now whenever power cycles it takes about 30 seconds to come on, displaying "Initializing data" in the meantime. Is this normal?

Beyond this, I was under the impression that you plug the scanner directly into the computer via USB to install the EZ Scan software which is already on the SD card. My computer, which runs Windows 7, will not recognize the radio; it throws up an error message every time that my device has malfunctioned and cannot be recognized. I've tried all sorts of start-up sequences, to no avail.

Does this sound like a corrupted radio? Or am I doing something wrong?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
This does not sound out of the norm yet. Try the following

Download ezscan and the PC driver from the whistler website
https://whistlergroup.com/pages/trx-2-downloads

Once you have ezscan installed try to format and prepare the sd card directly in the PC or a connected card reader.

Main thing is to stay calm once you get to know the finicky issues with the usb and sd card you will enjoy the unit.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
I thought about doing that - but Whistler apparently requires credit card number, address, etc. for a frewe download. I'm not necessarily ok with that. Does this mean I've hit a wall?
This does not sound out of the norm yet. Try the following

Download ezscan and the PC driver from the whistler website
https://whistlergroup.com/pages/trx-2-downloads

Once you have ezscan installed try to format and prepare the sd card directly in the PC or a connected card reader.

Main thing is to stay calm once you get to know the finicky issues with the usb and sd card you will enjoy the unit.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to put in a credit card number. I never have. I have been programming several whistler scanners and have not had to enter a credit card number to get the downloads. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
When you click download you will see
This is a FREE download. By clicking "Download" you will be directed to check out. No worries, no credit card information is needed!

SCPD

QRT
Mine came the same way, I removed the face plate removed the SIM card, put it back in all was good
Do this while unplugged to computer and power

Hi all, Was thrilled when my TRX-2 came in the mail today. I was looking forward to its "up and running fast" promises. Sadly that has not been the case thus far. The first few times I tried to turn on the radio it would display "waiting for main unit" for a period of time, then the screen would go blank. After a few power cycles it finally came on, but now whenever power cycles it takes about 30 seconds to come on, displaying "Initializing data" in the meantime. Is this normal?

Beyond this, I was under the impression that you plug the scanner directly into the computer via USB to install the EZ Scan software which is already on the SD card. My computer, which runs Windows 7, will not recognize the radio; it throws up an error message every time that my device has malfunctioned and cannot be recognized. I've tried all sorts of start-up sequences, to no avail.

Does this sound like a corrupted radio? Or am I doing something wrong?

Ed6698

Always make sure when powering on scanner hold power button down until it says to release it. When connecting scanner to computer with USB cable always have the radio off for updates.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your assistance! I ended up trying another USB cable and it appeaears the cable they sent was defective, so that was part of the problem. I sadly don't have a SD card slot on my computer, to plug in the card directly for initialization, so I'm going to get an interface for this as soon as I can. I was unaware the radio was to be left off when connected to the computer - good info. I will give the re-inserting the card trick a try and the others as well, and see what happens.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your assistance! I ended up trying another USB cable and it appeaears the cable they sent was defective, so that was part of the problem. I sadly don't have a SD card slot on my computer, to plug in the card directly for initialization, so I'm going to get an interface for this as soon as I can. I was unaware the radio was to be left off when connected to the computer - good info. I will give the re-inserting the card trick a try and the others as well, and see what happens.
I just had the same issues with the two units we bought, for my FD. The instructions could be clearer.

So far, the units sound decent, on MPSCS, as long as I use an external antenna. The supplied whips have a lot of fluctuations in signal levels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to put in a credit card number. I never have. I have been programming several whistler scanners and have not had to enter a credit card number to get the downloads. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As someone else mentioned, no card needed, but it is awfully intrusive for a free download.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the insight guys! It looks like the main problem is the scanner's USB connection. I tried reformatting my SD card, using a different SD card with a copy of the information, etc. and plugging the scanner into the computer always results in an error on the computer screen (and brings about an error for the scanner as well).

My question is: Can I use the scanner in its full function without ever connecting it to my computer via USB? The card works fine when inserted into the computer. Can I make any modifications I want to the programming on the card and then insert it into the scanner to load them? Also, can I update the firmware and RR database on the card simply by inserting it into the computer, without the USB connection?

If not I may have to send it back...

And yes, the instructions aren't quite what I'd hoped for. Thanks for the link Ed, I always liked that "easier to read" series!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the insight guys! It looks like the main problem is the scanner's USB connection. I tried reformatting my SD card, using a different SD card with a copy of the information, etc. and plugging the scanner into the computer always results in an error on the computer screen (and brings about an error for the scanner as well).

My question is: Can I use the scanner in its full function without ever connecting it to my computer via USB? The card works fine when inserted into the computer. Can I make any modifications I want to the programming on the card and then insert it into the scanner to load them? Also, can I update the firmware and RR database on the card simply by inserting it into the computer, without the USB connection?

If not I may have to send it back...

And yes, the instructions aren't quite what I'd hoped for. Thanks for the link Ed, I always liked that "easier to read" series!

Yes, you can update the RR database on the computer, and on the SD card without ever plugging the scanner in to the computer. Just insert the SD card into the computer or SD card reader, and all the data on it can be updated.

Yes, you can do ALL the programming in EZScan on the computer, and transfer it to the SD card without ever plugging the scanner in via the USB cable. Again, just insert the SD card into the computer or SD card reader and select "Copy data to Scanner".

NO, you will NOT be able to update the firmware, DSP or CPU without plugging the scanner directly into the computer via USB. This is the only thing you can't do without using the USB connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.