TRX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9lya

I understand the Whistler TRX-2 does not presently Trunk NXDN Trunked systems.. Will it in the future.
No biggie right now all the NXDN systems around me are not trunked as of yet anyway. Just curious if this will be an option down the road.
Thanks Jerry

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Damn I was thinking of buying one for my shack too although 99% of the NXDN around me is trunked I would love to here some answers to this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The way the scanner "trunks" NXDN is the same as with DMR, it reads all the channels in rapid succession. I have no problem following DEP Police on the One Voice system in New York

n9lya

Thanks

I appreciate the quick replies.. I was aware of the Best Compromise.. of putting them in conventional.
Does that work well and why does it not track NXDN properly? or well?

Was more curious if they have a plan for a fix. Or is this is just an NXDN issue?

I am glad to hear that the guy in NY can copy his Trunked NXDN well..

Ill go ahead and get it and do what is needed to make it work best it can..

Thanks Jerry

Still like to know if Whistler is planning anything to it...

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I listen to a multi-site trunked NXDN system daily. No problems. DSD+ hits a transmission slightly faster, but TRX-1 and TRX-2 do pretty well.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The TRX-2 doesn't "decode" control channels. While it may work on smaller systems, the optimal solution would be to decode the trunk channels to properly follow talk groups. Larger systems are a challenge. Also some systems are using 3.125 khz spacing channels and the TRX "rounds up" which also could result in missing conversations. It's not perfect, but as far as NXDN, this is all we have available at this time.

Ubbe

Whistler "trunk track" by voice channels only. When it finds a carrier on a voice frequency it quickly determines in under 100 millisecond if there is conversation or a delay time and decides to stay or continue to scan.

There are pros and cons to both ways of scanning a trunked system from control channels or voice channels. Uniden have improved there performance with DMR systems as they with the latest firmware stays on the voice channels during the delay period. If Unidens data decoding where 100% it would be superior but as it stands now I regard Whistler to have the edge on DMR scanning.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Whistler "trunk track" by voice channels only. When it finds a carrier on a voice frequency it quickly determines in under 100 millisecond if there is conversation or a delay time and decides to stay or continue to scan.

There are pros and cons to both ways of scanning a trunked system from control channels or voice channels. Uniden have improved there performance with DMR systems as they with the latest firmware stays on the voice channels during the delay period. If Unidens data decoding where 100% it would be superior but as it stands now I regard Whistler to have the edge on DMR scanning.

/Ubbe

I think Uniden has DMR right, but alot of the problems I read about seem to be improper programming or too far away to decode properly. Unfortunately for us, this is the only current option for NXDN scanning, but having only 1 or 2 control channel frequencies per site, instead of 15 to 20 frequencies "scanning" would be the optimal way to scan NXDN.

racingfan360

Also some systems are using 3.125 khz spacing channels and the TRX "rounds up" which also could result in missing conversations. It's not perfect, but as far as NXDN, this is all we have available at this time.

I don't disagree with this....it would be preferable if the TRX could be programmed to the correct freq with 3.125khz steps. However the front-end selectivity is wider than this which means youll always pick up adjacent channels if they are closely spaced. The positive aspect of this is that it makes searching for/detecting NXDN4800 signals easier: a comparable NXDN transceiver is so selective that it simply wont decode even if its "offtune" by more than about 2khz.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I think it would be better advertised that it "decodes" the frequencies, but not the control channels of the systems. I've sent this through for future upgrades to be considered. If Uniden ever upgraded firmware to decode NXDN control channel(s), they would have the upper hand. Programming only the control channels on systems is optimal as that's how the radios behave. It's frustrating at times to only hear partial replies because the scanner is searching frequencies instead of the control channel decoding doing that for you.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Well with NXDN you would have to program in the whole site as some of the channel numbers can be random. It would have to be programmed similar to a edacs system with all of the channel numbers even for the control channel programmed in with the frequency data. But it should be able to decode the control channel. Oh well I guess I will stick with DSD until someone figures out how to get the scanner to trunk track the NXDN mode.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ubbe

The problem with control channel tracking is that you must have the LCNs absolutly correct. You have to figure this out with DSD+ or trust other users to report this correctly to you. Voice channel tracking is much easier as you only need to search the range for channels going active and put those in a system. If you put in frequencies that belongs to other systems you'll easily notice this and then check the recording files and edit accordingly.

If you have a distant hard to monitor system, or a difficult simulcast, it is much better to scan voice channels than the control channel when you encounter those bit errors.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.