TRX1 or SDS-100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Another thing to consider is although the SDS 100 is a must for LSM systems if you don't have any LSM systems in your area and you go with the SDS 100 You will discover how bad reception is on VHF / UHF analog channels. The audio is horrible,
scratchy noisy and tinny. If the WS 1088 is working for you get the TRX-1.

Could that be because of the area you're in? I have have good reception on VHF and UHF analog signals here in my area. As for the audio being "tinmny," I find that that's an issue no mater what frequency the radio picks up. I just attribute it the small speaker size. I'm used to it by now, so it doesn't really bother me any more.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if Whistler is ever come out with a new scanner, or are the ones they have now going to be it?
jimg

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if Whistler is ever come out with a new scanner, or are the ones they have now going to be it?
jimg
That's quite a loaded question but I would go with doc's answer.

For purposes of your thread and the question you posed I would leave your decision up to the trx-1 or the sds100.

Probably not a good idea to hold out for whistler's next offering which would have to be able to handle simulcast distortion secondary to LSM and nxdn and DMR as well or better than Uniden.

You're looking at the best that each company has to offer.

Now all you have to do is pull the trigger... or not... LOL. :p

minasha

Thank you for your response and I appreciate your help.
Actually I am very happy with the performance on LSM systems and all P-25 systems in general.
On them the audio quality is excellent. I cannot get the same quality on the VHF/UHF conventional side.
I have accepted the limitations on those bands but I will not sell my sds 100 because it's working too good
on LSM systems to get rid of. I am sorry that there is no competition anymore since Whistler chickened out.
Thank s again for your response

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your response and I appreciate your help.
Actually I am very happy with the performance on LSM systems and all P-25 systems in general.
On them the audio quality is excellent. I cannot get the same quality on the VHF/UHF conventional side.
I have accepted the limitations on those bands but I will not sell my sds 100 because it's working too good
on LSM systems to get rid of. I am sorry that there is no competition anymore since Whistler chickened out.
Thank s again for your response
I don't think it's a matter of chickening out as much as they couldn't do it given the rebranded GRE radios they had to work with. Makes Financial sense not to put out a subpar product and it certainly didn't hurt to make the announcement when they did that it was under development whether it actually was or not.

As far as your sds100 I hope you decide to take the time to follow my detailed post #35 on how to use the filters to improve your VHF and UHF reception. You might be very surprised, I know I was... Bob.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Most monitoring on the 1088 is UHF and VHF. Therefore, I'm concerned that the SDS 100 might not be as good as what I'm getting now on the 1088. I assume I would get satisfactory results on the TRX-1. Also, two of the 800 trunked systems that had the simulcast issue have now encrypted! I like the display on the SDS-100 but hate to spend $649.00 plus buying the keys for DMR and NXDN, and it not receive UHF/VHF as well as the possibility that other 800 trunked systems might encrypt as well!
jimg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most monitoring on the 1088 is UHF and VHF. Therefore, I'm concerned that the SDS 100 might not be as good as what I'm getting now on the 1088. I assume I would get satisfactory results on the TRX-1
Owning a SDS100 and a SDS200, I don't see any reason to expect a reduction in performance in UHF or VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.