trx1 showing distant tower sites on local hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why when i get hits from local agencies does the tower sites that show up seem to be far away and way out of range of closer AWINS sites? this is bothering me? anyone out there can answer? thank you
kr

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It may be listing the talkgroup voice channel as I get a Northwest TACN voice channel showing up as a 100 mile away control channel. It is just the way GRE/WHISTLER handle TRUNKING.

Swipesy

Here in Ohio with the MARCS System Some Control Frequencies on some towers are Alternate frequencies on other towers and vice versa. If you program in towers out of your listening range that have this setup the radio will report the wrong tower because the scanner is reading the frequencies programmed and reports the first alpha tag that it hears it on.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
The Colorado Digital Trunking System is similar. A given frequency could be used in several locations around the state. This is possible because distance and terrain keep the transmitters from interfering with each other. The scanner will display the site name corresponding to the received frequency in the first site it finds, which may or may not be the actual site you're hearing.

This can also happen with conventional frequencies, especially business freqs, which are often shared with other users.

Status
Not open for further replies.