TRX2 vs Uniden 996XT Nextgen/SD700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Tested an old 996XT on Nextgen and SD City 700 at my home looking up at the transmitters on Cowels Mt. The Whistler TRX2 cannot receive ANY clear comms, everything on any LSM system is utter garbage, unreadable...not just some of the time, but ever transmission. The 996XT on the other hand, while still sounding like 1993 Astro, was able to decode completely clear and proper. On 3600 SmartZone, the RX blows the Uniden out of the water, voice quality wise, the TRX was much easier to understand, clear, clean good DSP processing. The TRX series just cannot really be considered for NextGen or the SD 700 system. Maybe you might get a good unit, but the reports seem to be the things are not tuned out of the box and cannot do Project 25 systems. If you are OK with 396/996 audio quality, the 996P2 could definitely be a winner for you on the cheap, in a fixed location that doesn't suffer simulcast distortion issues. Just stay away from TRX's.

Paul

Gene

Premium Subscriber
I have been using a TRX2 on the RCS System for at least 2 years with no problems. When the NextGen System was introduced, I had problems for a few weeks until I got a better INDOOR antenna. I live within eyesight of the tower in San Marcos and monitor the West System only. I tried tweaking the settings but eventually went back to the default settings and the TRX2 seems to pick up at least 95% of the conversation with an occasional burp. I hope that as the bugs are worked out of the System, things will improve. My 996P2 and SDS200 work as well.

It seems to be the difference between an analog and digital system. It is either full quieting of nothing.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Living close to one tower in a cell is a best-case scenario for simulcast.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I have been using a TRX2 on the RCS System for at least 2 years with no problems. When the NextGen System was introduced, I had problems for a few weeks until I got a better INDOOR antenna. I live within eyesight of the tower in San Marcos and monitor the West System only. I tried tweaking the settings but eventually went back to the default settings and the TRX2 seems to pick up at least 95% of the conversation with an occasional burp. I hope that as the bugs are worked out of the System, things will improve. My 996P2 and SDS200 work as well.

It seems to be the difference between an analog and digital system. It is either full quieting of nothing.

What antenna are you using?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
You got a lucky TRX

Iuse a 49" NMO40 low band whip for 7/800 trunking, works great when I can see the tower. It's the only way I can receive CHP and the trunked systems using only one antenna. :D

Paul

disp10

Premium Subscriber
What bandplan setting should I be using for the Nextgen and SD 700? Normal, auto fill, custom? I have a TRX-2.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Auto-fill "works" for Project 25 systems, but relies on the scanner having to first listen to the control channel long enough to receive the bandplan data...I always hit my scanners with the actual custom bandplan for the systems/sites to ensure they receive instantly, with no delays after scanner power up.

ScanDiego.com - Home <-bandplans available here

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.