Trying for another statewide system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
We have hundreds of expensive radios with dozens of interop talk groups - however, the most frequency interop is done via the dispatcher for each agency. You don't have interoperability just because the radios have it hidden somewhere in them. Go to Zone AB, Mode 6, talk group C COM (County Common). How many remember how to do that a few weeks after radio training? You did get trained, didn't you? It is easier to just key the mic, ask the dispatcher when the EMS unit arrive. This works fine until the big one hits. And then no one knows how to do it differently.

D

DaveNF2G

It's too bad the FCC is so understaffed (and like most federal agencies these days, less than fully competent). New York State should not be allowed to act as a "second FCC" and "control" any spectrum. It's probably illegal, and at least fraudulent. But then, this is New York we're talking about.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It's not ineptitude, it's politics. You have certain individuals that drive the whole system at the MTA, if you don't subscribe to their thinking you are gone. The powers to be wanted SWN, now that it failed they don't don't have a system to fall back on. They are against PL tones, voters and any other improvements that would make them look bad if it doesn't work. They would rather have an outside consultant, or agency or provider give them a system, that they would pay for by the month. So if it doesn't work they won't look bad.
BTW for what they are paying in overtime each week, around 100k, they could have bought the entire old IMTS frequency plan for the entire area up to Albany in about a 3 month's. That's 12 frequencies, and upwards of 36 if they used the splinters on VHF with no interference and no other users for hundreds of miles. They shot that down too. Again, they don't want an internal solution, they want something that if it doesn't work they save face. Not very professional in my opinion.
As far as the Metro 21, they are on it, the word is they are going digital too.

Spec

It's not ineptitude, it's politics. You have certain individuals that drive the whole system at the MTA, if you don't subscribe to their thinking you are gone. The powers to be wanted SWN, now...
I know I was just trying to be kind. AND now they wonder what they did wrong to have all this scrutiny . 21 still won't solve the problem but they'll try to sell it on that point and still won't work on the outer districts. They most certainly blew it back then. I kind of look at them and this new proposal as the new mini SWEN. The OT and mis-management will be there for longer than us .

radioman2001

I agree, but there may be more sinister thoughts going on. I suspect that to keep the system up (Metro 21) and not lose it they (NYSP) may be using MTA PD as a reason to keep it going and upgrade it and build it out further than the area covers now (digital upgrade is also definitly in the works). Just look up all the NYSP licenses on 800mhz, there is a license for just about every train station in the MTA region. I also suspect that if they don't build out soon they will lose those allocations, as they should 4 1/2 years is enough time to complete a simple construction. There isn't even an antenna constructed to make it look as though they are trying.
Something else I see is the rank and file isn't going to be too happy when all that OT goes away, I'm sure that's here to stay even if they build a system that does work.
A completer flush is in order, but that's very hard when dealing with police.

Spec

There are several 800 ants up within the MNRR region at some stations also and the fiber is already in the ground.

Spec

I agree, but there may be more sinister thoughts going on. I suspect that to keep the system up (Metro 21) and not lose it they (NYSP) may be using MTA PD as a reason to keep it going and upgrade it and build it out further than the area covers now (digital upgrade is also definitly in the works). Just look up all the NYSP licenses on 800mhz, there is a license for just about every train station in the MTA region. I also suspect that if they don't build out soon they will lose those allocations, as they should 4 1/2 years is enough time to complete a simple construction. There isn't even an antenna constructed to make it look as though they are trying.
Something else I see is the rank and file isn't going to be too happy when all that OT goes away, I'm sure that's here to stay even if they build a system that does work.
It would not surprise me to have them do an end run.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin

I assume that these 800 MHz licenses are only at stations in New York since the MTA Police in CT will possible be using the Connecticut State Police Trunked Radio system??

radioman2001

Don't know when it comes to CDOT, they are an agency unto themselves. I suspect that the MTAPD have had the option for years to go to CONNSP system, but again it doesn't cover their entire area. The (MTAPD) don't want multiple radios, they don't even want multiple channels in their own radios.
As far as NYSP I have yet to receive a single transmission on any of the license frequencies located at any of the MNRR stations. So I doubt that even if the antenna's you are seeing are even hooked up to any equipment. Have you seen any Troopers carrying any EDACS, I havn't.
The whole thing is a mess, the MTAPD just found out that MNRR is not providing them new equipment for the 2013 narrow band deadline. Talk about inept, they actually though another agency was going to provide and install radios for them for free!!

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The MTA has radios on the CSP system, but they don't use them unless needed...and that need is rare. The CSP does not have primary law enforcement responsibility in those tows...as they are covered by the town's themselves. The most action they would have is to come up on the Troop G channel and report a crash.

The CSP system has worked into Queens, but its obviously not designed for that coverage.

In terms of MTA being "fined" for radio problems/officer safety, I am sure that might have been a union greivence or a court arbitration matter more than a regulartory/government thing. Without seeing exactly what your referring too, my bet is a safety greivence from the union over the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.