Trying to decide: 325P2 or 436HP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

I have a 996P2 which I really like and it is superior to my old 996XT for sure. I program my scanners w1ith software like ARC XT Pro, FreeScan and Proscan. I have a handheld Whistler 1050 which does okay but the limit of 20 Scan Lists is a big pain.

So I want to bet a handheld scanner without a question and have pretty much settle on either a 325P2 or a 436HP. A friend suggested I contact a "JOE M." who knows a lot about these machines but I can't locate an e-mail address for him. (I hope maybe he sees this and contacts me). In any case I need some informed opinions about my choice options with some specific reasons. I am concerned about the RTC battery issue with the 436HP. The small size of the 325 is attractive but not a deal maker or breaker. The expanded size of alpha tags on the 436 is attractive also.

Price is not an issue, quality and durability are!

Mostly I listen to freqs in the 700-800 mHz on a really large trunked system in the SF Bay area (not phase 2 yet) but also often listen to the California HP in 42 mHz area. When I am mobile I use a Diamond RH77 amd at home I have a small 800 mHz Diamond for listening to the trunk system. Please contact me by e-mail if you prefer or here on this forum. My addy is neil.bell<at sign right here>sbcglobal<dot net>

Voyager

Sent a PM. But, for the benefit of others, the P2 series is pretty bullet-proof - like the XT series they are based on. The x36 line does have a lot more features, but have the potential issues with the backlight and RTC (clock) battery. Also the OEM cards seem to corrupt easily, but replacement cards seem to last much better, so that may be a non-issue. As I said in the PM, only you can decide which is best for you.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you are already used to the XT style of programming then the 325P2 will be a breeze. It programs almost exactly like the 396XT it replaced. If you use ARC-XT then make sure you upgrade to v2, but then with a 996P2 you probably already have. (ARC-XT 2.x supports the 996P2 and 325P2)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I have both the 325P2 and 436HP. Both are excellent scanners. The 436HP has the advantage of built-in recording and databases, which I find very useful, especially when traveling. But I find myself using the 325P2 more often now on a daily basis just because of its more compact size.
The 396XT and 996XT were long-time flagship scanners of Uniden and are tried and proven units. I agree with the OP that the 996P2 is superior even to the 996XT, and I also find the 325P2 superior to the 396XT. The P25 decoding with the 996P2 and 325P2 is outstanding. The expanded tags on the 436HP are certainly an advantage, and for scanning new systems, or in a new location, is pretty useful. However, for a daily carry, and once you're familiar with what your mainly listening to, the 325P2 is certainly more portable IMHO. With ARC-XT and your previous XT scanners, you will have it programmed in a few minutes.
I initially kind of downplayed the 325P2 when it first came out because of a lack of some 436HP features, but I now find I am using it more often than any other portable scanner.

neilbell

Thanks to all who replied. I have ordered a 325P2 and should have it tomorrow with my "Prime" membership. I already have the ARC-XT pro software running for my 996P2. Also have Proscan and Freescan running for my 996P2 so getting up and running will be a piece of cake and no significant learning curve (I think) for my 82 year-old brain!

Neil Bell, KJ6FBA

marksmith

I have the 996xt/396xt duo. Recently got a 996p2. You got a good matching pair. I've been holding off on the 325p2.
I think you made a good choice staying away from the x36 radios until they get the problems resolved. Wish I would have waited on the 536.

With the 996p2 and 325p2 at least they are based on rock solid systems that have performed for years.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

scottyhetzel

I have both the 325P2 and 436HP. Both are excellent scanners. The 436HP has the advantage of built-in recording and databases, which I find very useful, especially when traveling. But I find myself using the 325P2 more often now on a daily basis just because of its more compact size.
The 396XT and 996XT were long-time flagship scanners of Uniden and are tried and proven units. I agree with the OP that the 996P2 is superior even to the 996XT, and I also find the 325P2 superior to the 396XT. The P25 decoding with the 996P2 and 325P2 is outstanding. The expanded tags on the 436HP are certainly an advantage, and for scanning new systems, or in a new location, is pretty useful. However, for a daily carry, and once you're familiar with what your mainly listening to, the 325P2 is certainly more portable IMHO. With ARC-XT and your previous XT scanners, you will have it programmed in a few minutes.
I initially kind of downplayed the 325P2 when it first came out because of a lack of some 436HP features, but I now find I am using it more often than any other portable scanner.

Steve,

What makes the P2 so much better than the XT ? The P25 decode or this more?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Scotty,
For me, the big difference between the 996XT and 996P2 and between the 396XT and 325P2 is the P25 decoding. In fact, I think the P25 decoding is equal to, and in some cases better, than the 536HP and 436HP. I think the 996P2 and 325P2 are really solid and good scanners. The P25 decode, for me, is the main difference.
We are all aware of the pros and cons of the x36HPs. I like those scanners but find my self using the 996/325P2 more because I think the audio quality is a bit better.

KA2ZEY

I just bought the 436 and I'm very happy with it coming from the 396. I love the fact that it has the entire database from radio reference and I can sleep at night knowing I'm not missing anything even in my Home location. When I travel so easy because I can just enter in the ZIP Code and I don't have to spend an hour to the night before program and the scanner. It's ingeniously laid out. Yes it has some quirks but it really is a wonderful scanner. My biggest wish would be DM RG code but that doesn't exist for any scanner.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
For searching new stations out, I find the 436HP and 536HP unsurpassed. Certainly when traveling, but even at home, you can select the zipcode feature, let the scanner run, hold on any system or department while scanning, and often come up with new channels, at least for me here in Los Angeles.
Certainly the Fav Lists are necessary for more focused listening, and once you know what you want to listen to, it is at that point that I think the 996P2 and 325P2 are great scanners in terms of P25 decoding and audio quality.
But for searching out new stuff to listen to, I find the x36HPs to be really great. I think the PSR-800 group of scanners (WS1080, RS-668, WS1095) would be much more effective if they had these system/department/site hold features. To KA2ZEY, I think you will really like the 436HP. And to Neil KJ6FBA, I think you will really like the 325P2.
Personally, I often travel with both the 436HP and 325P2. Take a laptop with Sentinel, ARC536HP, and ARC-XT, the latter two for virtual control, and really is an enjoyable experience. Heading to Milwaukee during the 4th of July weekend for a family reunion on my wife's side. Will certainly have these scanners with me.

Voyager

What makes the P2 so much better than the XT ? The P25 decode or this more?

P25 Phase II support primarily. The decoding improvement is another aspect.

On the portable models, the P2 does not have the color backlight which is a down side. For the mobiles, they are nearly identical with the above improvements.

FlashP

The HPs don't have control channel output for use with independent software tools.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I to am the new owner of a 325P2, the decode here on the IL-Starcom Digital system is very good...I notice the "auto" feature which some complain about does work very well as of the six tower sites I programmed seem to decode anywhere from 6-10 with minimal err---- rate..My 396XT decodes mainly about "8"..The audio on digital is much clearer than the 396xt but not as loud which may be due to just using "2" batt....The scanner is easy to program as I have the "XT" models.....We don't have Phase II here yet as I hope when that day arrives it will sound good....Except for the new technology in the 325P2 it looks and feels like a $150.00 scanner....

Voyager

It IS a $150 scanner... plus P25 capability and some other features added. It is a low-tier digital scanner. That was the intent from the start. That said, many people have complimented the decoding.

KA2ZEY

Looks like the decision was made already but I love the 436 because it is so easy to update if changes are made on the RR database. It's really like having a hardware version of RR. But enjoy the 325, I'm sure it will be great.

scanboyca

It IS a $150 scanner... plus P25 capability and some other features added. It is a low-tier digital scanner. That was the intent from the start. That said, many people have complimented the decoding.

Where can you buy a 325P2 for $150?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Im finding that on the 325P2 the decode very good and digital volume set at "9" very good but, on VHF-UHF you need volume increase menu audio "LOW"....

Voyager

Where can you buy a 325P2 for $150?

You can't. What I said was "It IS a $150 scanner... plus P25 capability and some other features added" (which drives the price up).

You can get the $150 model in many places - some with sale prices even much less than $150. Just Google BC125AT.

Voyager

Im finding that on the 325P2 the decode very good and digital volume set at "9" very good but, on VHF-UHF you need volume increase menu audio "LOW"....

On the VHF/UHF channels do you have the mode set as NFM? If not, you may well get the symptom you described.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank You about the NFM setting I forgot about that, it helps the audio....I also got about 7 hours on using "Energizer rechargeables 2500.....

Status
Not open for further replies.