Trying to decide between a BCD996P2 and a HomePatrol 2

Erock7625

Leaning towards the 996 because I like the more control you have but the HomePatrol 2’s simplicity is also attractive. One thing I’m most concerned about are what feeds are available in my area (Maricopa County, AZ) If I look at the area, most of the departments are Simulcast and Talkgroups, will I be able to pick those up with either scanner. They are all listed under the Regional Wireless Cooperative. In particular looking at Surprise/El Mirage Police, they don’t seem to have a fire dispatch and also interested in Glendale. Checking on free scanner apps there doesn’t seem to be much available for police/fire in my area. Don’t want to make the investment if my listening options are limited. Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Due to the simulcast in this area I would go with the SDS100 or SDS200 instead. They are (IMHO) well worth the extra money over either the 996P2 or HP2.

Having used each of these all over the North and NW Valley the simulcast reception is extremely varied, driving down Bell Road towards Arrowhead there are a few spots that the 996P2 or HP2 would hear the RWC system but for the most part it was garbled. The SDS100 and SDS200 picks it up just fine.

That said, between the 996P2 and HP2 it is pretty much a tossup, both do mostly the same things but in different ways. The initial setup is easier on the HP2 but you are going to want to make your own Favorites Lists eventually. The 996P2, while initially more difficult to set up, has several features and capabilities the HP2 does not, including CloseCall, the ability to add DMR and NXDN if needed and others. The form factor of each might make a difference for you.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another consideration might be is if the scanner will be vehicle mounted. The SDS 200 has a memory card that can be removed for easy reprogramming/updating. The other models require a computer being close to the scanner and easy access to the back to connect programming cables. That's a pain and can lead to bloodshed when you scrape your skin.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The other models require a computer being close to the scanner and easy access to the back to connect programming cables. That's a pain and can lead to bloodshed when you scrape your skin.
The BCD996P2 can be programmed from the front. I bleed whenever I work under the dash of a vehicle.

Chris0516

Leaning towards the 996 because I like the more control you have but the HomePatrol 2’s simplicity is also attractive. One thing I’m most concerned about are what feeds are available in my area (Maricopa County, AZ) If I look at the area, most of the departments are Simulcast and Talkgroups, will I be able to pick those up with either scanner. They are all listed under the Regional Wireless Cooperative. In particular looking at Surprise/El Mirage Police, they don’t seem to have a fire dispatch and also interested in Glendale. Checking on free scanner apps there doesn’t seem to be much available for police/fire in my area. Don’t want to make the investment if my listening options are limited. Thanks.
I have both, the 325p2(mobile version of the 996p2) and, I just got the 436HP(mobile version of the 536HP). I can get Simulcast better with my 436HP, than I can with my 325p2.