trying to download scanner software pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskie999

I have tried to download a software, ARC300, but I got a screen that just baffled me with out any instructions,. I unistalled and now wondering if this is exceptionely, hard or I am not seeing what they claim, when trying to program a Pro 164. Looks like the download for drivers worked, using XP. I am at a loss. Where do the frequencies I want to program show up. Where is the help section. I can't find out where my frequencies downloads come from unless I download premium RR.
HELP!

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
As I see it, there are THREE steps necessary to learn how to program your scanner, and actually do it.

1. Get the cable working. This involves plugging the cable into your PC's USB port, getting the correct driver loaded, and finding out the COM port that was assigned to the cable.

2. Read the scanner USER MANUAL. There are a few programs that can be used to program this scanner. None of them do the thinking for you, they simply provide a means to "see" a broad overview of what will get sent to the scanner; and enable you to send it to the scanner, or read it back.

3. Once you understand the scanner, then you can load each of the programs designed to work with it (but I'd avoid ScanCat[lite] at all costs as it will cause you even more grief). Each program comes with a 30 day free trial, and what one person finds "easy to use" may not be as easy as another program to someone else. I personally use WIN97, but a lot of people like ARC300 just as much.

Once you are at the stage of knowing WHAT you want to program, you can run the software and start to type in the numbers (frequencies, talkgroups, CT/DC values, etc). The process of typing can be largely reduced or eliminated with the RR subscription, and the use of the programs' "import" function.

But if you don't understand (how to operate) the scanner, it will all look very confusing to you. I also realize that the standard manual may not be the best. But you can go to the Wiki section here on RR and that will lead you to an "easier to read" version. Good luck.

muskie999

Thanks, I guess at 60 it would be a lot easier for me to program. I might just have to sell all this stuff I bought and use my Pro79, I have to to do the same thing, no time really gained and it's analog anyway. Trunking I have to ask myself is ot worth it. So you may see some good deals up, for another one of many follies.
Thank you alot for telling me I am gaining nothing, just spending more dollars.
I appreciate it. Oh I have read the manual several times, there is really nothing about uploading form software. Thnaks again.,.
Muskie Mike

N8IAA

Thanks, I guess at 60 it would be a lot easier for me to program. I might just have to sell all this stuff I bought and use my Pro79, I have to to do the same thing, no time really gained and it's analog anyway. Trunking I have to ask myself is ot worth it. So you may see some good deals up, for another one of many follies.
Thank you alot for telling me I am gaining nothing, just spending more dollars.
I appreciate it. Oh I have read the manual several times, there is really nothing about uploading form software. Thnaks again.,.
Muskie Mike

Mike, I know how you feel. Way back when I got my first trunking scanner, a Pro-90 my wife bought me when I was recovering from surgery, I wanted her to take it back to the shack:) This is when there was scant computer programs out there to use. I learned how to do it by hand. I spent a week trying to figure out the manual and all the key pushes neccessary to get it working. Never had a problem with the conventional scanners, or my ham radios. First radio I ever programmed with software was my Pro-92. By this time it was my fifth trunktracking scanner. During this time, one of my favorite counties went P-25 digital. Thank goodness my county was still analog:) After two years got my first digital trunktracker. Thank you DonS for Win96! Three years later, my 106. OMG!! I couldn't figure it out at all. My hair was falling out:( I tried two different programming software packages, Win500 and PSRedit500. Still couldn't figure it out. I was getting ready to sell the radio. After asking questions on radio reference, I learned that I could import one of my Win96 files into Win500. Got my radio up and running. Then I started learning how to use the software and program by hand. I've had the radio for 1 1/2 years and love it. Most difficult radio I've ever programmed. It takes time when you go from a very basic conventional radio to one like the 164. Give it time. It will come to you. Win97 is a very easy program to use. Learn to program the radio by hand. Do this by using basic conventional frequencies. Download it to the software. See how it looks in the program. Eventually, the light turns on and your hair starts to grow back:D Feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you.
Larry

muskie999

Thanks for the encoragement, but I always thought technology would make it easier. Like I look for a baragain here. In fact right now the damn thing is telling me all channels are locked!!!LOL on me even that stalker thying doesn't work except for some delivery trucks some where. May be I'll get some sleep. thanks for the answers, go on help some body who can use it and know what the heck is going on. Every time I reda those links, which by the way is not the 1st, I feel more ignorant than before. I should take up knitting. I really just storm spot and try find out who's getting a DWI. talk at you later. have a. good night .
Mike

N8IAA

Thanks for the encoragement, but I always thought technology would make it easier. Like I look for a baragain here. In fact right now the damn thing is telling me all channels are locked!!!LOL on me even that stalker thying doesn't work except for some delivery trucks some where. May be I'll get some sleep. thanks for the answers, go on help some body who can use it and know what the heck is going on. Every time I reda those links, which by the way is not the 1st, I feel more ignorant than before. I should take up knitting. I really just storm spot and try find out who's getting a DWI. talk at you later. have a. good night .
Mike
I know that you have Win97. Tell me what you want to monitor, and I will send you a file. It is very frustrating. I will e-mail the file to you.
Larry

muskie999

Ok, I am trying to monitor Evansville pd/ fire and rock co sheirff. for pd/fir, also the skywarn ham operators for this area. I can see how the scanner can be programmed, but when i do i cabn't seem to find the programs. I would like to tag them to, it makes it easier to know w ho I'm listening to. Thanks

muskie999

Larry one other thing , I have a PR0 79 . So I really have to take a leap to catch up. It would be easier if I had a 97 I could just go from one to the other.

N8IAA

Ok, I am trying to monitor Evansville pd/ fire and rock co sheirff. for pd/fir, also the skywarn ham operators for this area. I can see how the scanner can be programmed, but when i do i cabn't seem to find the programs. I would like to tag them to, it makes it easier to know w ho I'm listening to. Thanks

I didn't see Evansville pd and fd in the Rock county frequencies. I did see the SO. I can build you a starting file if you would like me to. The 97 is not any different in programming than the 164. Are you clicking on the right spot for uploads to the scanner? You must click on Upload to the 164/163, Psr300/400. Otherwise, it won't upload your frequencies to the scanner.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.