• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trying to find a BNC adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh34444

I need to find a female-female bnc adapter that I can mount inside a cubby hole in my car where my scanner is mounted. Basically I want to avoid drilling a bnc-male sized hole in the wall of the compartment, instead be able to drill a smaller hole that I can mount this adapter that would have female ends on both side. Antenna-->coax-->bnc male-->bnc female adapter |~wall~| bnc female adapter-->bnc male-->coax-->bnc male-->scanner. I hope that makes sense. I couldn't find it on radioshack's site. If there is something else you know of that would work better, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I just dont want the loose wire hanging there anymore.

Thayne

You probably will have to get that from a place like tessco or tally or hutton, but if there is any radio shops around they would probably have one. Definately don't pay more than $10
There is something called "bulkhead" types that you may want, you could have a nut on each side to keep it in the hole or just get the barrel type.
Hope this helps

pappy1

Try this place and put the info you need in the wizzard, if they have it it will show up. I get all my adapters from them.

whls3

Why not remove the connector and run it through a wire sized hole, reattach the connector and avoid the signal loss. Even if you have to cut off a crimp connector, you'll still be better off.

mh34444

Thanks, I'll try the shack in-store. As far as signal loss, I'm not too worried about it. Its simply a scanner antenna and I'm in an area with good repeater coverage on the 2 VHF frequencies I monitor.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack 278-115

The 'shack' has BNC F-F in plain and gold finish. The stock nbr above is the plain version for about $2.49 --

\/ern

mh34444

Vern said:
The 'shack' has BNC F-F in plain and gold finish. The stock nbr above is the plain version for about $2.49 --

\/ern

Is there any benefit using gold over plain, or does it just make it look purdy?

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
mh34444 said:
Is there any benefit using gold over plain, or does it just make it look purdy?

Well, gold is a better conductor, but be prepared to spend more money. For a gold BNC-F I paid like $6 and like $2.50 or so for a regular one.

Status
Not open for further replies.