Trying to find latest Freqs down load for Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone I posted something under the Maryland threads about trying to get the latest freqs download software for Frederick County, Md's re band which just happened about three days ago. Is there any way to enter the additional freqs into the unit manually? I have the info for the new control channels but now trying to figure out how to get them loaded.Do I have to by additional programming software to do that and if so what do you recommend and hopefully least expensive? Thanks

rwier

Hi everyone I posted something under the Maryland threads about trying to get the latest freqs download software for Frederick County, Md's re band which just happened about three days ago. Is there any way to enter the additional freqs into the unit manually? I have the info for the new control channels but now trying to figure out how to get them loaded.Do I have to by additional programming software to do that and if so what do you recommend and hopefully least expensive? Thanks

Excellent software called Sentinel is a free download, even if you do not own the radio. It is designed for the HP-1 and does a great job.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Do you know if it will let me add freqs to a trunking system? And does anyone know if the extreme software will let you add additional channels to a trunking system ?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Do you know if it will let me add freqs to a trunking system? And does anyone know if the extreme software will let you add additional channels to a trunking system ?
You can do all of that with Sentinel-
Add the custom rebanding tables or add, delete, or modify system frequencies.

As you have the Home Patrol, and presumably have been updating the database periodically, you should already have Sentinel loaded on your pc.

Start the Sentinel software and connect the Home Patrol to the PC, choosing USB mode.
Then, if you have not done so lately, read from the scanner to the software. That's either keyboard shortcut <CTRL>+<R>, or select the "read" option from the drop-down menu after clicking on "Home Patrol" on the top, or, it's the button just to the right of the star with the pencil (that's for editing Favorites; you'll need that in a couple of minutes).

After reading to the software, you'll see the Database at top of the left window of Sentinel, with USA & Canada listed just below.

Below that will be your Favorites Lists. If needed, click on the "+" sign by Favorites to expand the list.

Now, you need to edit the list you are using. However, since the database won't be updated until Monday, and the current database (in the scanner) does not show that rebanding has occurred, I would suggest you copy your current list.
Click on your list to highlight it. Now, on the bottom line of menu 'buttons', upper left, the second one from the left is "Copy Favorites List". Click on that & give your copy a new name.

At this point, I would also go into your profile and turn off location control for that new copy, to make sure it keeps your modified rebanding tables until the full database is updated in a couple of days. You can do that by clicking "Edit Profile" (that's the button that looks vaguely like a piece of paper with a pencil, right under the "View" menu").
See the screenshot below. Click on the Favorites List tab, select the one you want, then click the "no" out by "location control". (As you see in my example, I made a Favorites List named Frederick for illustration purposes). After you've done that, and exited the Profile editor, hit the "Save" option (the small disk icon).

Now, to edit your system, for the rebanding......
Start the Favorites editor (that's the 'star' with a pencil), and select your new copy, created by the instructions just above.
Click on the system you want to modify. (In my example, I only have the Frederick TRS, but you could select any system in your list). That's the second screen shot.

Click on the site name, which in this case is "Simulcast". In the right window of the third screen shot, you'll see the "Frequencies" tab is selected. This is where you can add, subtract, modify the system frequencies. Make your changes to reflect the new rebanded site frequencies.

In the fourth screen shot, you'll see that the Band Plan tab has been selected. For rebanding, select "Custom" from the drop-down list, as shown. Then enter the band plan values for the scanner to monitor a rebanded system. The one's I've shown in the screenshot are standard for Uniden scanners, all models (you can find them here, among other places).

Once you've entered the new values, click on File->Save to make sure your changes are preserved.

Then, it's just a matter of writing your new, "rebanded" Favorites list to the scanner, & selecting it from the menu to use for listening.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Thanks hiegtx, "Your The Man"!
I would have never figured all of that out on my own. But if I had, by the time I finished it my Home Patrol would have been in the Smithsonian Ancient History Museum by then! LOL
I really appreciate your step by step directions and the illustration's. I have it up and running now. I was under the impression that you couldn't add freq's to a system with out buying the expensive software upgrades.
People like you make this Forum worth it's weight in gold. A Big Thumbs up to you! Thanks again from a grateful old cowboy.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The "Extreme Upgrade" adds several features to the scanner itself-
System analyzers for EDACS & LTR channel placements among them, as well as the ability to add new systems, including trunked systems, on the scanner.
But even without the Extreme, adding & editing frequencies (and new systems) can be done through Sentinel, then downloaded to the scanner. Doing this sort of mod (editing frequencies & the band plan) is easier on the pc anyway.

The 'Extreme' has been worth it to me, but then I got my HP-1 just under the wire, & got the $50 "intro" price. At $100, I'd probably still pull the trigger, but would think about it longer, and balance that against increased use of my laptop to do some of the things I can do directly on the HP-1 w/Extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.