trying to get back into the community and hopelessly lost!

MEDCOM518

Hey everyone! The last time that I was serious about scanning was in 1999 and everything has changed since then.
In a recent spark of inspiration, I purchased a WS1010 from Walmart only to find that it wouldn't pick up most of what I had remembered being under 512MHz. Soon thereafter, I found a PRO-62 on FB Marketplace capable of the 800MHz things that I needed for Albany/Colonie only to find out that it doesn't decode P25 systems.
So, I am adrift and I don't understand any of the abbreviations or the terms common to the discussion now. Furthermore, I am on a budget and can't really drop $600 on a portable scanner capable of what I am looking for.
So I am asking anyone to please take me under the wing and help me get back up to speed on how this all works nowadays. I am in East Greenbush, NY
Thanks!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest getting a few RTL SDR dongles and DSD+ Fastlane, you can monitor local P25 systems (as well as DMR & NXDN) from your computer for under $100.

MEDCOM518

I would suggest getting a few RTL SDR dongles and DSD+ Fastlane, you can monitor local P25 systems (as well as DMR & NXDN) from your computer for under $100.
Thanks for the reply, but what are all those things? I'd like a portable solution, but a start is a start and I'm here to learn and grow.

wtp

i had edited my post so there is a bit more.
yes, things have changed.
i started with a radio that you turned a knob to scan the band.
then came scanners
then came trunking, then trunking scanners
then digital
and now digital with 2 users on one frequency at the same time.

MEDCOM518

i had edited my post so there is a bit more.
yes, things have changed.
i started with a radio that you turned a knob to scan the band.
then came scanners
then came trunking, then trunking scanners
then digital
and now digital with 2 users on one frequency at the same time.
I left the scene right around the time that trunking scanners came about. My last was a PRO-2040. So that is approximately where I need to begin learning, I guess.

wtp

and i see your county is on a simulcast trunked system.

Simulcast858.4625c858.9625859.4625c859.9625c
and even Albany county is simulcast and phase 2.
you might not have a problem receiving them, but the best radio is the uniden SDS100 portable and is around $650

MEDCOM518

and i see your county is on a simulcast trunked system.

Simulcast858.4625c858.9625859.4625c859.9625c
and even Albany county is simulcast and phase 2.
you might not have a problem receiving them, but the best radio is the uniden SDS100 portable and is around $650
Yup, just looked at some on FB for sale. I'll just have to deal with what I have for now until I get the funds for such a thing. Until then, I need to learn all this new stuff.

Reactions: wtp

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone! The last time that I was serious about scanning was in 1999 and everything has changed since then.

In a recent spark of inspiration, I purchased a WS1010 from Walmart only to find that it wouldn't pick up most of what I had remembered being under 512MHz. Soon thereafter, I found a PRO-62 on FB Marketplace capable of the 800MHz things that I needed for Albany/Colonie only to find out that it doesn't decode P25 systems.

So, I am adrift and I don't understand any of the abbreviations or the terms common to the discussion now. Furthermore, I am on a budget and can't really drop $600 on a portable scanner capable of what I am looking for.

So I am asking anyone to please take me under the wing and help me get back up to speed on how this all works nowadays. I am in East Greenbush, NY

Thanks!
So keep your credit card in your wallet before you buy any more antiquated, old out of date radios that won't serve your needs. Begin to read all of the wealth of information here on radio reference that will bring you up to date with an understanding of what it is that you need to listen to what you want. Plenty of great people here to help you also but we can only go so far. Good luck.

MEDCOM518

So keep your credit card in your wallet before you buy any more antiquated, old out of date radios that won't serve your needs. Begin to read all of the wealth of information here on radio reference that will bring you up to date with an understanding of what it is that you need to listen to what you want. Plenty of great people here to help you also but we can only go so far. Good luck.
I appreciate that. I do want to learn and I plan to get all the good info and knowledge that I can from everyone.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
That is why I recommended RTL SDR dongles to start with, they are a lot cheaper than a SDS which is basically required for simulcast.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
sdr's REQUIRE a computer and antenna in order to work however a true scanner and antenna can sit on a shelf 24/7/365 and work without a computer attached other than a power supply.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
While sdr does require a computer, one can use a raspberry pi with a dongle and achieve the same end result. Depending what exactly one is looking to monitor, one can also use an android phone with software. I had a headless pi in my truck running op25 on my counties trunked system. I have ran the pi off a 26000 batt pack and used bt earbuds. Works well.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I replied to another post of yours this morning, there is a lot of analog activity here in the Albany area. You can still get use out of the scanners you have. I listed a few freqs that will have activity immediately. As time goes on and you narrow your interests, you can request/search for more freqs. Happy scanning...

bob550

Premium Subscriber
While SDRs (Software Defined Radios) are an option, be aware that the degree of complexity can be offputting for some. While a scanner with the proper programming software is akin to ordering a pizza for delivery, SDRs are the equivalent of making your own pizza from scratch. There can be several separate components required to give you the functionality of a true scanner, and then you don't have the portabilty you may want.

Both the Rensselaer and Albany County systems are simulcast and, depending on your location, can make reception a challenge. From my location in Glenmont, and using my Uniden 536, the Albany system reception is periodically choppy at best and varies with the site I'm monitoring. However, the Rensselaer system is almost impossible to receive intelligibly. But with simulcast, location and proximity to transmitting towers are critical factors. Perhaps a used BCD536hp, or the portable version BCD436hp, may be a less expensive option, but I wouldn't purchase anything without the ability to return the scanner for a refund. In my case, of all the scanners I own only the Unication G5 will provide good simulcast reception for both counties.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Hello. My best advice (as others have stated) proceed slowly. All the radios have to be programmed. All have a “learning curve” of sorts! But it can be done! Most are expensive investments! The good news? RR is a great resource and there are a lot of nice folks here that will help you. Ignore the “trolls” or “know it alls” you May encounter.

My recommendactions:
#1 for our area: The Unication G5. But…it’s a professional grade radio receiver and it is not a true “scanner!” But, it can do many of the things that a scanner can do!

#2 - The Uniden SDS 100. While it is a scanner, it is a “software defined radio!” It is not what you and I remember as a “real radio!” It had a very steep learning curve for me as I hadn’t had a Uniden (Bearcat) scanner in years and I was not familiar with their “DMA memory architecture!” But again, I say that thanks to many helpful people here…

As stated above. Even with all the P25 Phase 1 and 2 local stuff there is still quite a bit of analog stuff around here. Oh. And the SDS 100 is just “meh” on conventional analog and not as good on simulcast as the G5! Just my opinion based on my experience in this last paragraph!

Good luck!