Trying to get into Amateur Radio, wondering about equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

vk2fxxx

Gday
I bought a little kenwood handheld. The THF-7e I believe it is the Th6a in the USA,
$450 in Australia. This is what I can do with the radio.
*Transmit into local 2m and 70 cm repeaters from home using my discone antenna.
*Listen to police ,fire,ambulance etc while scanning local amateur repeaters.
*work satellites with a hand held antenna.
*Work echolink /IRLP via a local repeater, while riding my push bike using the headset.
*locate local noise sources.
*connect it to my mobile antenna and use it in my work van.
*Listen to FM Broadcast radio.
*Built a 1m diameter loop with tuning cap to listen to horse races and cricket on AM broadcast radio.
*Used it as my receiver for my noise bridge,to tune antennas and other handy stuff
*Throw a wire out the window or use my loop to listen to HF amateur bands(has USB and LSB rx )
*Fox hunting hidden transmitters.
*Fitted with aftermarket antenna for better performance..
Maybe a few other things i forgot.
I also have an Icom 718 for HF.
Happy with both radios.
Enjoy the hobby
Brendan.

SCPD

QRT
Ok, thanks guys. I will look into these as well as my local Amateur Radio Club (Although, I wish there weren't so many older people there (no offense), there probably isn't anyone under 50 there and I am just 16.)

Hey, don't let age scare you off. We may be old, but, generally, we tend to be very friendly and supportive. I use to be 16 once and now I have 50 years of experience. I started with this hobby 15 years ago and have had a lot of fun.. part of it is equipment, but the bigger part is understanding how that equipment works and how it can be modified or built from scratch to accomplish the desired task. If you enjoy the idea of communicating over the air and not being dependent upon others for it to work ( telephone, internet, etc ) this is for you. You will meet some older guys with more technical expertise than you can imagine. You will also meet some older guys ( like me ) that know a little bit about a lot and enjoy playing with what little we understand. Get that ticket and don't stop with Tech.. 2meters and 10 meters is fun, but the low bands are much more. Get the General and enjoy that long range stuff. Hey, you might even get a kick out of CW.. it will blow the doors of texting when you get good at it.. It is just like learning another language.

Anyway, don't let age hold you back. I think you will be warmly accepted and encouraged by everyone at the local club..

Good luck,
KU4ZG

K9AOS

Ok, thanks guys. I will look into these as well as my local Amateur Radio Club (Although, I wish there weren't so many older people there (no offense), there probably isn't anyone under 50 there and I am just 16.)

I was young when I started also. A little word of advice, hang with those old guys because the knowledge you will gain is well worth it besides I have seen these older guys give younger hams a nice little used radio to get started with. Good luck to you and 73's

Sent from my SAMSUNG INFUSE using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.