Trying to listen to Minneapolis ARMERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRatio

Premium Subscriber
Would anyone in this thread know the ARMERS system well enough to help me get a Uniden BCD436hp configured to listen to the Hennepin CO Simulcasts?

I bought the DMR upgrade hoping that would help... no luck.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Have you installed sentinel and updated the 436? If this is your 1st time with these newer scanners, suggest you use location with zip code and 10 mile radius. Then select the services and chose law enforcement, law Tac and anything else you want. Some agencies are encrypted in metro. Others will chime in with specifics. Am not in the metro area to know which are. Search some of the threads here to find that info too. Also, read the easy to read 436 on the web. Better than the manual that comes with the 436.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast is kryptonite to most scanners, including the 436. If you've updated the database and made sure your location is set correctly, that's the most likely problem. The only solution is to buy a SDS100, and either sell the 436 to help pay for it, or relegate it to scanning other, non-simulcast stuff.

DMR is a different digital format than P25, so buying the DMR upgrade has a 0% chance of helping you hear a P25 system.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
The only solution is to buy a SDS100, and either sell the 436 to help pay for it, or relegate it to scanning other, non-simulcast stuff.
It's not the only option. SDR's will handle simulcast very well and are far more cost effective. There's also other ways to mitigate the effects of simulcast on older scanners.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
DMR upgrade will do you no good monitoring a P25 system like ARMER. Have a read here about simulcast distortion. As others above me have mentioned, it can really wreak havoc on a non-Uniden SDS series scanner

Well since you have the DMR upgrade, here's a report of DMR systems statewide which may or may not be of interest to you (scroll to bottom of page for DMR)

It's not the only option. SDR's will handle simulcast very well and are far more cost effective. There's also other ways to mitigate the effects of simulcast on older scanners.
True, but not everyone feels like toting dongles & laptops or tablets with them everywhere they go to monitor & the workarounds brought up in the simulcast distortion wiki I linked above work with mixed results, but not for everyone

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
SDR software doesn't duplicate the functionality of the scanner firmware, either. You can monitor one system from a fixed location OK, but scanning multiple systems while mobile, not so much.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
SDR software doesn't duplicate the functionality of the scanner firmware, either. You can monitor one system from a fixed location OK, but scanning multiple systems while mobile, not so much.
Most people do not venture that far from their house on a regular basis. For most a home SDR streaming to their mobile device will be as effective.

stmills

Hennepin county runs 2 systems- East and West. East Control Channel is 852.3625, West is 852.6125.
Hennepin Sheriff Dispatches for a majority of the County, Fire is in the clear but all Law Enforcement Dispatch and most car to car and Tac traffic is encrypted.
Other Dispatch center in Hennepin County
Airport PD - Law Enforcement Encrypted
Bloomington
Eden Prairie- Law Enforcement Encrypted
Edina/ Richfield- Law Dispatch clear, car to car encrypted
Minneapolis
St. Louis Park - Law Enforcement Encrypted
U MN

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most people do not venture that far from their house on a regular basis. For most a home SDR streaming to their mobile device will be as effective.
Yeah no. You're still limited to a single system, and you need to have enough networking expertise to set up port forwarding and other configuration settings to make the streaming work outside your LAN. And if you don't do it right, you've opened up a security hole to let hackers into your LAN. There are far more people who commute through multiple cities or counties than those who have the technical expertise to set up a SDR receiver to monitor a trunked radio system and forward the audio stream to a mobile device in their vehicle.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I’ll remember this the next time I take my tablet along in the car and pipe the audio from the multiple systems I monitor on it into my car audio system. Been operating this way for over 5 years.

Same here. I can travel the metro and hear what I want streamed from my home to my phone and into my cars audio system. And I did this replacing four scanners while covering more for less than the cost of a single SDS100.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Would anyone in this thread know the ARMERS system well enough to help me get a Uniden BCD436hp configured to listen to the Hennepin CO Simulcasts?

You really shouldn't have too much trouble running a 436 on the Hennepin Systems... I have done it with great success. Where are you located in Hennepin County?

Status
Not open for further replies.