Trying to make a "cantanna" but differently

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewcb88

Hello,
I have been tinkering with things and just trying to come up with a new concept to have a project to do, projects are fun!

So here is what I got:
Color coordinated

It's a copper cone attached to a aluminum pipe.

The little copper splashes are suppose to represent copper mesh wire that goes around the tube.

A aluminum inner tube with 2 PTFE convex lens. Starting from the right is a double convex lens, both sides are meant to focus the signal so one going in and 1 going out.
The one on the left is also a convex with a plano back side and goes up against the aluminum tube. Signal comes in, bounces off the back of the aluminum tube and convex PTFE lens refocuses it, to the double convex it goes, where it get's refracted and put back together out the end of the convex PTFE lens.

It's a double antenna wifi card. The black antenna is just your basic antenna, I am going to remove the shell and upgrade the copper wiring and put the shell back on, I don't want it touching other copper parts. The other is just a straight 2 gauge or so wire that goes into the first tube and gets soldered to the mesh which the mesh gets solder to the cone.

The idea is have one antenna for "out" and one for "in". My thinking goes the in will have a larger area to receive signal while the out is more concentrated depending on the convex lens I use(would like to use a lens that makes the signal spread 2-3 degrees)

Now it is time to laugh at my 2D drawing.

Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Andrew

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 27

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
it sounds like this wanna be antenna will cover from dc to light in one small shell and probably be the answer to encryption.

prcguy

You asked for thoughts, so here are mine. You have seen some different techniques used on other antennas so you cobbled some of them together in one idea not knowing much about how any of the techniques work.

For the copper mesh thing, looks like you are trying to make a horn antenna on that end and horn antennas will have a specific length, angle and opening size at the big end for the desired freqnency and gain, then a specific waveguide size at the exit end. The size and shape of your drawing doesn't look like a horn antenna.

Then you want to make use of RF lenses, which are usually out in front of an antenna or waveguide and very large with respect to wavelength to have a big capture area and focus RF at specific frequencies into a smaller area, just as a similar lens does for light. The tubing would be more of a waveguide transmission line judging by its size with respect to the pickup probe and you would not use a lens inside a waveguide or transmission line.

You are not going to be able to make an antenna that only has 2 or 3 degrees of spreading. An antenna's beamwidth will be determined mostly by its gain and it takes a lot of gain to get a narrow beamwidth.

You can either make a proper size and shape horn and attach that to a circular waveguide of the correct size, or get a very large RF lens, which can be a simple dielectric ball (solid plastic) many, many wavelengths across and find the focal point to optimize the gain and pattern. Otherwise making something that resembles your picture and description would not make any type of useful antenna.

Hello,
I have been tinkering with things and just trying to come up with a new concept to have a project to do, projects are fun!

So here is what I got:
Color coordinated

It's a copper cone attached to a aluminum pipe.

The little copper splashes are suppose to represent copper mesh wire that goes around the tube.

A aluminum inner tube with 2 PTFE convex lens. Starting from the right is a double convex lens, both sides are meant to focus the signal so one going in and 1 going out.
The one on the left is also a convex with a plano back side and goes up against the aluminum tube. Signal comes in, bounces off the back of the aluminum tube and convex PTFE lens refocuses it, to the double convex it goes, where it get's refracted and put back together out the end of the convex PTFE lens.

It's a double antenna wifi card. The black antenna is just your basic antenna, I am going to remove the shell and upgrade the copper wiring and put the shell back on, I don't want it touching other copper parts. The other is just a straight 2 gauge or so wire that goes into the first tube and gets soldered to the mesh which the mesh gets solder to the cone.

The idea is have one antenna for "out" and one for "in". My thinking goes the in will have a larger area to receive signal while the out is more concentrated depending on the convex lens I use(would like to use a lens that makes the signal spread 2-3 degrees)

Now it is time to laugh at my 2D drawing.

Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.