Trying to Pick Up NAVTEX

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired a Furuno NX-500 NAVTEX receiver on eBay. I haven't received it yet and was trying to check signal reception using an SDR connected to an MLA 30+ Active Loop Antenna. I was trying to monitor the transmission from New Orleans on 518 kHz (the official published frequency) since it is geographically the closest to my location but got nothing. I recall being able to get the signal several years ago using another NAVTEX receiver connected to a different antenna setup. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that receiver to decode the signal. It was a type that allowed you to listen to the signal, which, when I listened, came in VERY strong at the time. It didn't show what frequency it was receiving it on, though.

I would try decoding software, but I can't for some reason get any package to work with my SDR.

In case anyone is wondering why I got the Furuno before I checked if I could get the signal, it was because I recalled what I got with the other receiver years ago.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Where is this 'official published frequency'?

I see they have a listing here, under NAVAREA IV SOUTH. They are on at specific times; 518 khz is rather like a graveyard MW station in that it has many stations on that frequency that share it.

and it largely agrees with

Are you listening at the correct times?

Which decoding software did you try? Did you have a virtual cable to route the audio to the software? Thee are MANY packages that can copy SITOR-B (SITOR-B and NAVTEX are virtually the same protocol). It does take a bit of setup to get it to work. Which SDR are you using?

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You might want to also try a Kiwi SDR in your neck of the woods. Remember to listen in USB and use an offset to get the correct pitch.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I almost forgot to point out that loops are directional down this low- if it's not pointed in the right direction, you might not hear it at all, or very weakly

And of course, there's the possibility that NMG is off the air....Mike

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was listening at 2100 UTC exactly, which was one of the NMG scheduled times. I got the information from weather.gov as well as the ITU website and the Klingenfuss 2023/2024 Guide to Utility Radio Stations.

As for decoding software, I tried fldigi, SORCERER and MULTIPSK with a virtual audio cable. I have a whole thread on this issue in the SDR forum.

I'll try to reposition my loop antenna, which is currently facing southeast.

As for the SDR, I am using a BlogV4 with SDR Sharp.

It appears the nearest KiwiSDR location is in Austin, which probably will have worse luck getting it then I do here.

Last edited: