Trying to program pro-106 for San Francisco Police Department (SFPD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvictor2004

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone -- I recently purchased a Pro-106 and I have tried for days to program SFPD. I have tried following the owner manual (a million times) and have tried following every tutorial online and every possible combination there of. At this point, I need someone who can provide a step-by-step tutorial on how I can program SFPD... bonus points if you could help me program San Mateo County Public Safety.

Thanks!

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. Since you seem to be willing to try things,one suggestion would be to purchase Object Oriented Scanner Software which will not only help you program, but will help you understand more of the features of your scanner. If you become a paid subscriber to this site($7.5 for 3 months), you can have the software log onto this site and automatically down load these trunking systems and set up the system parameters. This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration. You probably need a USB cable: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software#Making_the_Connection Yes, all this adds up to more money, but these newer scanners are quite difficult to program without software, as you have experienced. You may even be able to get a file from another user in your area if you post in California Radio Discussion Forum They may also be able help you program if you decide against the software.

Last edited:

chrizby

I assume you are talking about this system.
San Francisco, City & County of (Public Safety) Trunking System, San Francisco, California - Scanner Frequencies

and for San Mateo
San Mateo, County of (Public Safety) Trunking System, Various, California - Scanner Frequencies

If so, there are a few things to do to get this system into your scanner.

First the systems are pretty damned huge and it would be best to have
software and a subscription to the website to download what
you need.

If you decide to do this manually, you will have to compromise a little
because it would take forever to get it all.

So lets start small.

Its a
System Type: Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

So first lets look at the control freqs. The ones in red on RR

Lets see if you can pick up one of these freqs by plugging one of them in manually
Press TUNE
plug in 866.225
Enter or SEL

At this point the scanner should have 4 lines of info on it. The bottom 2 will
indicate your scanner is picking up the control info. You might not be hearing
anything at all at this point. On other trunking systems(Edacs,etc) you will hear machine
code.

If all is going well, you should now press F3. The scanner will do all the work.
You will now have created a TS and one Talkgroup that has a wildcard entry.
From here on out you have to press F3 every time there is a new talkgroup.
Soon enough you will have the most commonly used Talkgroups.
You will have to enter the names for the TS and the talkgroups later. No fun at all.

If the scanner isn't picking up any control info, try the other control freq. If neither
one of these works then you have reception problems. Too far away, or you are in a faraday
cage of a building. The stock antenna isn't the best for these freqs either.

San Mateo should work out the same.
Good Luck. Soon enough this will seem not too impossible.
Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.