trying to understand live audio feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIREMAN3000

I am trying to figure out if the live audio feeds works the same as a scanner. And if so why would people have to buy scanners if they could listen for free here? Im not very radio savvy yet so pardon me if the question sounds stupi

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A live audio feed "is" a scanner (or another type of radio) streamed to the internet. A scanner/radio can only receive within about a 30 mile radius. Feeds allow listeners to monitor radio traffic from areas far, far away from their listening area.

If listening to a local feed, one is restricted to what is on the feed. Using a scanner you can monitor more nearby systems/frequencies then what are provided on a feed. Also most feeds do not provide police/fire tactical and investigative channels as well as ambulance-to-hospital transmissions.

There are probably hundreds of channels to monitor on your scanner that are not streamed.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
A live audio feed "is" a scanner (or another type of radio) streamed to the internet. A scanner/radio can only receive within about a 30 mile radius. Feeds allow listeners to monitor radio traffic from areas far, far away from their listening area.

If listening to a local feed, one is restricted to what is on the feed. Using a scanner you can monitor more nearby systems/frequencies then what are provided on a feed. Also most feeds do not provide police/fire tactical and investigative channels as well as ambulance-to-hospital transmissions.

There are probably hundreds of channels to monitor on your scanner that are not streamed.

Quite true,I would like to add that there is a timeline from what the scanner picks up and when it gets to your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.