• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Trying to upload RadioReferece CSV to Baofeng UV-5RIII via Chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus

Hello,
I am totally new to this. I have used a scanner before, but I have never programmed it with a cable and that was also many years ago when I was a teenager. I got the cable and software and everything working properly on OSX. I can download the data from the radio. I can also important the RadioReference data. The thing is that when I import it some of the channels are "greyed out". If I make a new file and import then none of the channels are greyed out. The difference is that on the original profile I can upload to the radio as in it is selectable, but on the new one with all the channels the option to `Upload To Radio` is greyed out and not selectable. I uploaded a picture to show what I am talking about regarding the channels.

I am just looking for some place where I can read more about these specifics so I can understand the whole system better. It's so much new information that it is a little overwhelming, so that's why I am asking you folks about where I should start. It's best if I "learn by doing", so I am trying to upload whatever local channels are listed on this site. So far the ones I was able to upload had no traffic.

Thanks for the information. In the meanwhile I will read posts on this forum.

Attachments

• CHIRP.png
    CHIRP.png
    417.4 KB · Views: 35
I am just looking for some place where I can read more about these specifics so I can understand the whole system better.
First of all, your CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) is analog only.

Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

didymus

It didn't come with anything to read or I would have read it already. I wasn't sure where to start, so thanks I will read that now. As far as "CCR", well, you're stating the obvious.

Yeah, I messed around with it a little more and I think it has to do with the settings profile in Chirp and it thinking some of these are out of range. I don't think they all are, but that link you posted will help me figure that out. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought that link was documentation. Thanks for the attention? I guess? The entire point of your reply was to insult the radio, LMAO.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Now for some real help...

My guess would be most of the the "greyed out" frequencies are outside the receiving range of this radio. The others may be AM mode, which I believe that radio won't handle.

didymus

Yeah, I kinda figured that out. I am honestly not sure where to find specs or documentation. I've tried looking for a Baofeng website (a number of times actually) and the only website I've found was a US distributor. I emailed them and I think they are salty that people buy the tribands from places other than them. They were no help whatsoever. I really need to find documentation, but even better would be some sort of primer about specifically a triband radio. I only really have a vague idea of what it is. I mean I understand that bands are segments of RF field, but what that actually translates to in terms of "protocols" (not sure if it's called that) or other practical aspects like that I'm unsure of. I got CHIRP working on OSX and the importation feature working and even that process was super convoluted. Reason why I asked here is I figure there would be some kind of "go-to" website or resource that a lot of people use or send when someone asks real basic questions like this? I fully understand that this is the type of question people are just waiting to reply with "RTFM", but I've actually looked. This wasn't my first stop.

Is there a repo somewhere of different types of radios docs?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I fully understand that this is the type of question people are just waiting to reply with "RTFM"

Truth be told, there's not a whole lot to read. It's assumed that somebody buying a two way radio (this radio is NOT a scanner) understands the basics. What you really need is a scanner, but you aren't going to find that for $35, I hate to say. A scanner might have a better manual aimed at the consumer who doesn't know the ins and outs of radio stuff.

As was mentioned, the channels that are greyed out in your screenshot are frequencies or modes that radio does not cover. Your radio covers 136-174MHz, 220-260MHz, 400-520.99MHz, FM and Narrow FM. Anything outside of that is not going to work in that radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.