TSA Checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbill1

Premium Subscriber
Will I encounter any issues with traveling to Texas from sfo with a yaseu ft5, dvmeta hotspot and extra batteries. I will have current fcc lic card with me.
My concern is they may look at the hotspot which is in clear plastic case and think it is some type of device. I know this sounds paranoid but this equipment cost a few bucks and I don't want then to deny passing the equipment. Last month they checked my body powder going out of Houston. So I don't know what these folks will do.
Thanks in advance

murphcc1

Premium Subscriber
shouldn't have an issue.....I fly with my SDS100 all the time.......I take the antenna off in case they want to swab for explosives.
But 9 times out of ten I go right through with no one batting an eye.

And ya cant mail it back to yourself in those airport kiosk things, the slot to put in into the bin is too small.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I'm not a ham and haven't flown since COVID started, but I've traveled out of IAH way too many times with several APX8000's and a couple of batteries with no issues. Only problem I've ever had was with my HP "port replicator" as they couldn't see through the big piece of metal on the x-ray (or whatever it really is).

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Hams fly everywhere domestically and take everything from little HTs to HF rigs/antennas with them. I'd suggest you would pack it in its' own container and have a copy of your FCC license with you.

footage

Premium Subscriber
Bill, pre-pandemic I flew all over (incl. internationally) with radios and various equipt and the worst that's ever happened is that it was swabbed. Ham license is probably a good idea. I thought they'd flag my three HTs and extra batteries this summer but no issue.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have flown to Guatemala twice with no problem except a flight attendant who thought my HT was a cell phone. Make sure you get permission from the foreign country radio association. I needed that to get through the Guatemalan version of TSA when leaving the country.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Pre-Covid I flew many times a year. I am a ham and a photographer. I've found that smaller airports tend to have agents with too much time on their hands. One agent x-rayed all my camera lenses. He ignored my radios and left me alone in front of a bank of TSA HT's. I could have bagged one and he wouldn't have noticed.

Two things:

Get a Known Traveler Number or a Global Entry Card. These allow you in the PreCheck line and speed up to process. I've cleared security in less than two minutes at some major airports.

Next, while it is legal to carry your radios on the plane, do not operate them. That is illegal. FAA rules not TSA. Don't do it. Technically you can with the permission of the Captain. On a commercial flight you won't get it. I've done it on private planes however.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
IAH or HOU? Bush is a little tougher because of the international flights and just number of pax. I practically lived at HOU for years, and carried my audio recording setup in a shoulder bag. It got swabbed plenty of times, I had to turn it on more often than I could ever remember and once or twice was asked to dismantle it in front of the secondary screener. 5 min into the process she could tell it was gonna take time, and just sent me on my way.
If you like fishing, CC is the spot for you. Under the overpass to the NAS is a fantastic spot for redfish and flounder. Any of the rickety, old, worn out looking bait shops will be your source for local knowledge.
ENJOY retirement.....

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I have flown to Guatemala twice with no problem except a flight attendant who thought my HT was a cell phone. Make sure you get permission from the foreign country radio association. I needed that to get through the Guatemalan version of TSA when leaving the country.

Contrary to popular belief, Texas is not a foreign country.

N4KVE

I have flown many times from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal with several HT’s, batteries, & charger. Only once did they look in the bag. It paid off once because when I got on a crowded plane, there was no room for my overhead bag. I was told I had to check it, but there would be no fee. That would have meant waiting for my bag at the luggage carousel in Montreal. I told the gal I had li-on batteries in the bag, so it can’t be checked in. They mysteriously found a spot for my bag in an overhead compartment.

kansaden

Likewise, travel with my SDS 100 through the airports all the time. Getting ready to fly to Fresno tomorrow with it, in fact.

Digitalbill1

Premium Subscriber
Pre-Covid I flew many times a year. I am a ham and a photographer. I've found that smaller airports tend to have agents with too much time on their hands. One agent x-rayed all my camera lenses. He ignored my radios and left me alone in front of a bank of TSA HT's. I could have bagged one and he wouldn't have noticed.

Two things:

Get a Known Traveler Number or a Global Entry Card. These allow you in the PreCheck line and speed up to process. I've cleared security in less than two minutes at some major airports.

Next, while it is legal to carry your radios on the plane, do not operate them. That is illegal. FAA rules not TSA. Don't do it. Technically you can with the permission of the Captain. On a commercial flight you won't get it. I've done it on private planes however.
Thank you for the post. No worries about using while on flight just keep. It in my carry on with cables and phone charger etc under the seat

Status
Not open for further replies.