Not open for further replies.

mjf

Premium Subscriber
What about TETRA for buses?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
TETRA is coming this year. But, they still need to maintain the existing system and it's (many, many) problems.

baboon53315

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys.TTC and there new TETRA radios will be up and running this year.I've been talking with one of the radio techs.This new system can't be monitored by any scanner right now.I've tried.The new radios have a built in GPS for tracking and have a monitoring feature that can only be used by transit or wheel-trans control.They are working out the bugs.They will be using there current frequencies once full changed over including the VHF 151.92500 frequency.They will be using five different hubs across the city.I know there using the CN tower and Hillcrest right now.The inspectors have to carry two radios right now and the service trucks out of wheel-trans.The only other company that uses this system right now in Canada is BC hydro.When I get more information from the radio tech.,I will post it.

mciupa

Database Admin
Found some information regarding TETRA:

TTC PowerTrunk (TETRA) IP based system

Last edited:

bigcam406

not thinking its the end of the world. new system wont have the range as the old analogue system, wont be able to decode it anyways at my location.

baboon53315

Premium Subscriber
The TETRA radio system are already on the buses.They are still using the old CIS trump system also.For now until the full switch over.All TTC vehicles/subway/buses/streetcars etc will be using this system.From what I have been told,the system will not be encrypted.I'm trying to get the radio system information,but the I.T. department won't release that to the radio shop.Radio techs just get a laptop with the information,plug into the unit and does everything automatically.I will try to get some radio ID numbers and post them.

mlmummert

The TETRA radio system are already on the buses.They are still using the old CIS trump system also.For now until the full switch over.All TTC vehicles/subway/buses/streetcars etc will be using this system.From what I have been told,the system will not be encrypted.I'm trying to get the radio system information,but the I.T. department won't release that to the radio shop.Radio techs just get a laptop with the information,plug into the unit and does everything automatically.I will try to get some radio ID numbers and post them.

How does the radio shop not have information on the radio system that the IT department has? The IT department should not be involved with radio at all. Stick with fixing Windows crashes boys.

baboon53315

Premium Subscriber
TTC Tetra

Hi guys.The TTC Tetra system is only for Wheel-Trans and all non-revenue vehicles.The new system for the buses is totally different.The new system for the buses will have GPS,2-way radio communication.The system will also transmit current information about the bus e.g.engine/transmission sensor information,speed/braking etc.Some divisions are all ready starting to switch over to this system,but are still using the old CIS system as well.I will try to find out the name of the new system this week and post it.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
TETRA is not just for wheel-trans and non-revenue vehicles. Currently, it is in use by Wheel-Trans and Station staff. Eventually, everything will be on it (bus, streetcar, subway, surface users, maintenance, etc...).

The new surface transportation system is called VISION - Vehicle Information System & Integrated Operations Network.

It will be TETRA UHF, with LTE cellular fallback. It won't be connected to the other TETRA systems, however bus/streetcar route supervisors will have both systems in their handsets so they can communicate directly with a bus, as well as the supervisory system.

Once completed, surface vehicles will have quite the assortment of RF gear - two cellular modems for data, one cellular voice modem, one TETRA radio, a GPS receiver and a UHF Pager receiver.

Initially the deployment will be on one route of one division (happening in a few weeks actually), expanding throughout the rest of the surface network, division by division. The plan is to have it rolled out across the entire bus fleet by end of year 2018, and across all bus/streetcars for the beginning of 2020. But, time will tell how that goes. So far though, they're on schedule (deployment was scheduled to begin Q2 of 2017, so its only slightly delayed).

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.