• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tube VS solid Conductor (Coax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the (operational) differences between tubed copper conductor coax and solid conductor coax? What are the advantages and disadvantages of 1 over the other? I apologize if my terminology is wrong for the 2 types!

jackj

It is all about costs. RF energy tends to travel on the surface of the conductor, higher frequencies tend to penetrate the conductor less. This means that the center of the conductor carries very little of the RF so why fill the tube with expensive copper when a hollow tube will work just as well.

prcguy

Are you referring to the coax center conductor and the use of hollow tubing in larger cable like Andrew Heliax? If so they can get away with that due to RF skin effect where the majority of the RF current is confined in a shallow depth on the outside of the conductor.

Low frequencies like 1Mhz will penetrate a little deeper below the conductor surface than higher frequencies like 100MHz. Using hollow conductors saves on copper costs and weight without impacting RF performance. Some cables will use a copper clad aluminum or steel center conductor for similar reasons but the steel version will have higher DC resistance.

For pure DC a solid conductor is preferred since the current will flow through the entire cross section of the conductor.
prcguy

What is the (operational) differences between tubed copper conductor coax and solid conductor coax? What are the advantages and disadvantages of 1 over the other? I apologize if my terminology is wrong for the 2 types!

Yes, it is Andrews Heliax AVA7-50, specifically 1-5/8". I was at one of our new county sites and they put in this for all of the 700 & 800mhz antennas.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1 5/8" is somewhere around $12.00/foot, just imagine how much it would be if that had to be a solid center conductor.
I've got a 2 foot piece of that sitting next to my desk left over from our 800 trunked system install.

It is all about costs. RF energy tends to travel on the surface of the conductor, higher frequencies tend to penetrate the conductor less. This means that the center of the conductor carries very little of the RF so why fill the tube with expensive copper when a hollow tube will work just as well.

Very interesting, that explains why the better coax is coated with copper and not just aluminum, as is cheaper coax. Didn't know that. This will be 1 more question I get right on the test!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.