Tucson Area Meds / Med Calling

Maxagonzales

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have a Unication G4 Scanner and i would like to ask the people in the Tucson area if they hear any traffic on Area Meds / Med Calling, which is the EMS/Fire online telemetry to local hospitals in the area of Tucson, to give patient vitals and condition of patients on scene and or transporting.

I am wondering i hear dead scilence on simulcast B and North simulcast. I know that units on the field use more of a electronic means of communication to the hospitals via their patient care tough books with WiFi.

Does anyone know or even hear anything?

Vr,

Max

Tucson, AZ

Attachments

• area meds.PNG
    area meds.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 6

Foresigt

Premium Subscriber
I don't know about down in Tucson but up in Phoenix, the Med Channels are all Encrypted so we can't listen.

kd7eir

Tucson MEDS channels are not encrypted. Units will rarely use the MEDS channels since most now use ETelemetry and cellular communications with hospitals.

Maxagonzales

Premium Subscriber
Tucson MEDS channels are not encrypted. Units will rarely use the MEDS channels since most now use ETelemetry and cellular communications with hospitals.
Thank you for that, do you know if they use simulcast a or b or both?

KB7MIB

I've seen comments in the past that the paramedic-to-hospital TG's are somewhere in the PFDRDC D, E, or F-decks. (I had them written down at one point.)
Being encrypted, they've never been publicly released, nor confirmed by monitoring. Therefore, they are not listed in the RRDB.

John
Peoria

Maxagonzales

Premium Subscriber
I've seen comments in the past that the paramedic-to-hospital TG's are somewhere in the PFDRDC D, E, or F-decks. (I had them written down at one point.)
Being encrypted, they've never been publicly released, nor confirmed by monitoring. Therefore, they are not listed in the RRDB.

John
Peoria
Hey John have you heard any of the TGs for Tucson?

Foresigt

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for patches you see like on Emergency! that never happened here. Paramedics in Arizona have standing orders and have to talk to the hospitals very little. A lot of what they do is done by cell phone. Cell phones comply with HIPPA and prevent people from easdropping.

Maxagonzales

Premium Subscriber
If you are looking for patches you see like on Emergency! that never happened here. Paramedics in Arizona have standing orders and have to talk to the hospitals very little. A lot of what they do is done by cell phone. Cell phones comply with HIPPA and prevent people from easdropping.
Man I remember that online telemetries where done over the radio and let alone let MEDS know what standing orders they are using or get a channel to the hospital, how times have changed

Do they still use V28meds??

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
I remember the Hospital I worked at, AMR changed over to a Satcom system for the tele patient stuff.
I retired in late 2020 and I don't remember how long before I left it was installed.

This was in another state.

DanRollman

Database Admin
If you are looking for patches you see like on Emergency! that never happened here.

It most certainly did happen, in the Tucson area at least, and sounded very much like what you heard on Emergency!

I don't recall exactly when it ended, but through at least the late 1990s most transports in the Tucson area would call "MEDS Control" on Med 10 (which was operated by "Tucson City Communications" at Park & Ajo but accessed by all public and private ambulances in the entire metro area, and even out of area ambulances (like Cochise County or Santa Cruz County ambulances) transporting into the Tucson area. Ambulances called "MEDS Control" on Med 10 to request a "patch to [hospital name], and be assigned Med 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8 if I recall correctly (such vivid memories of this). MEDS Control would call the respective hospital and ask them to come up on that particular channel. ("MEDS Control, Paramedic 89, we need a patch with UMC... Paramedic 89 use Med 1 with UMC." [~3 minutes later on Med 10] "Meds Control, Paramedic 89, we are clear Med 1 with UMC, thank you.") Med 10 was repeated, but those Med channels 1 through 8 were half duplex - hospitals transmitted on 463.xxx and ambulances transmitted on 468.xxx. If the ambulance was relatively close and/or you had good elevation and a good antenna system, you could hear the ambulance's entire telemetry relay, often 1 to 3 minutes of dialogue between ambulance and triage nurse (initially) and sometimes ER doc for certain instructions. If a Med channel was already in use by one ambulance with a particular hospital when a second ambulance needed an urgent patch to the same hospital, MEDS Control (on Med 10) would ask the second ambulance if they wanted to stand by for the other ambulance to finish, or if they "needed hospital radio". If it was urgent, they'd say they "need hospital radio" and be assigned Med 9 with any hospital in the city. Med 9 was repeated, so in this case you could hear both sides of the entire telemetry communication on 462.950. Med 10 was also the primary dispatch channel for most ambulances in Pima County operating outside the Tucson City Limits, including even Rural Metro ambulances (MEDS Control would dispatch a Rural Metro ambulance on Med 10 to respond with a Rural Metro fire engine in Rural's own area, for example). MEDS Control also dispatched Rural Metro Paramedic 89 to CITY calls, because PM89 was based at UMC and staffed with 2 paramedics (the Tucson Fire staffing standard) and as a result was entitled to respond to City of Tucson EMS calls over a TFD Medic unit if PM89 was closer, as it often was in the UofA area.

The same sort of telemetry system could occasionally be heard throughout other parts of Arizona (beyond Tucson) between rural ambulances or helicopters, on the one hand, and hospitals throughout Arizona from time to time, except that in this case the patch was typically requested through EMSCOM (Phoenix) on Med 5. Because they were airborne, medical helicopters could easily be heard on 468.xxx giving patient reports to hospitals.

How is that for vivid details of certain scanner escapades of my youth!

Man, the days of VHF and UHF analog scanner listening in Arizona. What a time...