Tulsa 800 going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos703

Just heard an OHP general broadcast stating the 800 will be down from 0600 to 0700 tomorrow. All units will have to use low band during those hours.

Anyone know what's up?

okla-lawman

Ohp is not perse on the TULSA system They are but they are seperate than tpd, tcso so forth. It is hard to describe but Tulsa has the Tulsa or local system then there is th eState system in Tulsa...... I dont know why it is going down. I would imagine maybe upgrades bringing the new towers online.

KD5WLX

Tulsa was down as well - at least partially. At about 7:30 I heard FD dispatch telling various departments they wouldn't be getting alert tones or drops, and telling TFD their data boxes wouldn't work.

peterjmag

Lawman is right. They turned off the 800 to replace the old repeaters with the new. I know this based on monitorng the Telecom. The digital switch may be here faster then thought. Everyday I have heard them testing in analog and then say switch to astro etc. Also it would make sense to replace the old tower equipment with the new in this grant and astro switch. After they brought the system back online I noticed just a slight better increase in reception in places that used to scatchy. Get ready the upgrade is coming and coming fast.

P.J.

freqscout

So what exactly does he mean by the statement that OHP and Tulsa are not on the same system "perse"?
I know that it is the Tulsa/DPS system and that Tulsa is the control point for the whole shabang north to south including OHP and City of Tulsa. So how again are they not using the same system when it is in fact the same system from everything that we know/have heard from the horse's mouth? Is he referring to how OHP has other systems in place (ie: the lowband crossband repeaters, lowband etc.) also?

Chaos703

See, I told you so.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43726

Digital before the end of the year, just like I said. I got it straight from the horses mouth. But does anyone listen to poor old Chaos? Nope. Just because I don't know my sporadic-E propagation from my cubical quad antennas doesn't mean I can't dig up some valuable scoop now and then.

I'm like TNT with a larger vocabulary — unique, special and emotionally needy.

okla-lawman

My radio started flashing an error code about the trunking about 0600. It was on all areas both ohp, tpd and so on. Tpd is part of th estate system BUT TPD only has two repeaters programmed in the system. It is totally possible for the state to working on the system and not effect TPD as they do no have the capability to broadcast on any other repeaters ie pryor, brostow so forth. So it is possible for ohp to be without radios while it may not effect TPDs operation at all. Going west you loose the local Tulsa towers a little west of kellyville, no effect for TPD but for a trooper that could be a real problem. Basically the state system uses a LOT of towers so loosing any of them could effect them.

freqscout

I'm not sure that I understand any thing that you said. You obviously have more than two repeaters if you are on the trunking system. You may only have two zones in your radio though. You guys have far too many TPD talkgroups to only have two repeaters. Your allowed sites may be limited so you don't wander too far onto the other sites outside of Tulsa. OHP may not have your talkgroups programmed in and that is what I think you are referring to. But yes you guys are on the same system. You just have different talkgroups that do not interact because they are not programmed into all radios.
Help me if I am missing something here but that is the way I and probably most other people understand it.

Chaos703

Tulsa proper only has the two repeaters, one on the Williams tower and the one at 61st and Sheridan. I've never heard anything on the Tulsa SmartZone system except OHP and Creek Co carried on any of the state's other 800 sites. I don't know if this is because Tulsa SmartZone subscribers are limited to those two repeaters or if it's just because I've never happened to hear an active radio access a site outside of Tulsa.

Lawman, are saying that the Tulsa's SmartZone subscribers ARE limited to those two repeaters because they are on a different network that shares a common control channel in Tulsa? In other words, could a TPD unit not access a state 800 site in, say, OKC, or Okmulgee?

habpatrol

The City of Tulsa and OHP share the same towers inside Tulsa. Tulsa PD has access to the whole system but they are set up only to simulcast on the towers located at 61st and Sheridan and downtown. The reason for this is that if Tulsa PD were to broadcast on all towers throughout the State it would overwhelm the towers with only five or six frequencies. For example, I believe that Sapulpa radios are set up to operate on the Tulsa and Bristow towers but not any others. Tulsa County can operate on their channels in the Tulsa area but can only use their main dispatch channel when in OKC or Lexington. This was all set up in the beginning to allow maximum availability by all agencies that have access to the State system.

If TPD needs to leave Tulsa for say a pursuit into OKC then they can easily be patched into a Regional or State Mutual Aid Channel and have access to the whole system. As far as who controls the system it depends where you are. In Tulsa the TPD communications center controls all agencies that use the two Tulsa towers. This includes TPD, Sand Springs, Tulsa County, Sapulpa, OHP, and all Northeastern Oklahoma Regional Mutual Aid Channels. DPS in OKC controls all other towers, the State Mutual Aid Channels and the Central Oklahoma Regional Mutual Aid Channels.

I hope this helps!!

freqscout

That is a lot more along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

There are two simulcasting sites in Tulsa that the TPD uses. Not so much two repeaters or a different trunking system altogether. I see why you would have the TPD limited to those two sites. That makes a whole lot more sense and was what I was starting to think that he was trying to say without knowing the most appropriate terminology and information. That also explains why I have heard TCSO on the OKC site and never the TPD. I can see where having the TPD allowed to access any site would crowd the remote sites like in Bristow, etc. since the radios would most likely affiliate there as they moved away from the center of the Tulsa area. With the updates to the system are there going to be more simulcast sites to expand the coverage? I can see where having only two sites could provide for some dead spots. I know that OKC is larger in size than Tulsa but we have seven sites (or 5 can't remember for sure) that are simulcasting for our core system that covers a good 80-90% (the primary populated area) of the city. We also have the outer WIDE AREA system that overlaps the same areas to give us about 97% of the city with handheld coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.