Tulsa Rail Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK956

I've tried doing some forum searches here and I'm not having much luck.

I want to be able to monitor BNSF in Tulsa, as well as Southern Kansas & Oklahoma from their yard in Owasso.

I've found all the frequencies and of course all are within the preset RR band on my Uniden 325P2

But I cant figure out from the frequency listings if I need to do a NXDN or even a DMR upgrade.

I found a post saying some locos may be NXDN equipped and others not but this was more a national RR opinion.

I would like to know if these Tulsa RR can be received on just standard frequencies alone without paying for an upgrade

Remington12G

GØT AES?

I want to be able to monitor BNSF in Tulsa, as well as Southern Kansas & Oklahoma from their yard in Owasso.

I've found all the frequencies and of course all are within the preset RR band on my Uniden 325P2

But I cant figure out from the frequency listings if I need to do a NXDN or even a DMR upgrade.

I found a post saying some locos may be NXDN equipped and others not but this was more a national RR opinion.

I would like to know if these Tulsa RR can be received on just standard frequencies alone without paying for an upgrade
I assume this is the page: Oklahoma - Oklahoma Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'll start off with this. I have heard digital NXDN used on railroad frequencies and It is very limited. Here in KY, almost all frequencies are licensed for NXDN use with railyard's sometimes being licensed for DMR. If you find digital use, it will be yard operations or some type of enforcement user. You are correct on them being equipped with NXDN capabilities, it's usually Kenwood or Icom radios.

OK956

I assume this is the page: Oklahoma - Oklahoma Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'll start off with this. I have heard digital NXDN used on railroad frequencies and It is very limited. Here in KY, almost all frequencies are licensed for NXDN use with railyard's sometimes being licensed for DMR. If you find digital use, it will be yard operations or some type of enforcement user. You are correct on them being equipped with NXDN capabilities, it's usually Kenwood or Icom radios.

Thanks. And yes that's the frequency list, its lengthy but I don't think most apply as I am only interested in the Tulsa area. I don't make it down much to the Tulsa Cherokee yard so it would just be more of monitoring as they are in transit and waiting on sidings moving through Tulsa.

My young son loves trains and a lot of times we get them waiting in the sidings for long periods waiting on track clearance and it would be nice to hear info how long it may be until they move onto the main and get going.

I'll give it a try on the frequencies outright as it is I guess and see how it goes. Hopefully most are not NXDN where I need to pay for an upgrade.

Thanks

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
If you don't know what channels are in use in an area you are in, what I've found that works the best is to program the 97 AAR channels into your scanner and scan those, or if it has a rail service function put your scanner in that mode.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. And yes that's the frequency list, its lengthy but I don't think most apply as I am only interested in the Tulsa area. I don't make it down much to the Tulsa Cherokee yard so it would just be more of monitoring as they are in transit and waiting on sidings moving through Tulsa.

My young son loves trains and a lot of times we get them waiting in the sidings for long periods waiting on track clearance and it would be nice to hear info how long it may be until they move onto the main and get going.

I'll give it a try on the frequencies outright as it is I guess and see how it goes. Hopefully most are not NXDN where I need to pay for an upgrade.

Thanks
Looking at the listing for Oklahoma Railroad in the link provided, all are listed as "FMN". None are listed as NXDN so, that shouldn't be a concern at this point.
John

OK956

If you don't know what channels are in use in an area you are in, what I've found that works the best is to program the 97 AAR channels into your scanner and scan those, or if it has a rail service function put your scanner in that mode.
Yep. Mine has Railroad in the service search. And from some other comments here looks like they are not NXDN. Thanks!

OK956

Looking at the listing for Oklahoma Railroad in the link provided, all are listed as "FMN". None are listed as NXDN so, that shouldn't be a concern at this point.
John

Good deal! Yeah I'm still learning how to interpret these frequency listings. I saw the FMN but it didn't click with me. Thanks!

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Yep. Mine has Railroad in the service search. And from some other comments here looks like they are not NXDN. Thanks!

I've found it is still worthwhile to program in the 97 channels in and not use the service mode for the railband. The service mode also scans all of the "in between" channels so it takes longer to scan through them and it picks up more intermod if you are using an external antenna. It isn't a problem in rual areas but in cities or if you have a nearby NOAA tower it can be a real pain.

OK956

I've found it is still worthwhile to program in the 97 channels in and not use the service mode for the railband. The service mode also scans all of the "in between" channels so it takes longer to scan through them and it picks up more intermod if you are using an external antenna. It isn't a problem in rual areas but in cities or if you have a nearby NOAA tower it can be a real pain.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Or I may just hit the temp lock out button if I get lazy..

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber

I was able to park near the Cherokee Yard on Sunday and heard plenty of action BEFORE I even did my NXDN upgrade, so I bet you'll be fine. When are you going? I might see you there sometime!

--Pete

OK956

I was able to park near the Cherokee Yard on Sunday and heard plenty of action BEFORE I even did my NXDN upgrade, so I bet you'll be fine. When are you going? I might see you there sometime!

--Pete

Actually happened to cruise through their today on the way for an errand on west 21st.

It seemed to pick up just fine both sides of their transmissions.

So far all of my RR frequencies have been coming in fine including SK&O.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
Actually happened to cruise through their today on the way for an errand on west 21st.

It seemed to pick up just fine both sides of their transmissions.

So far all of my RR frequencies have been coming in fine including SK&O.
My problem is, I live about 30 miles or so - straight line - from Cherokee, so I'm not sure of my options listening in from home. With my factory telescoping antenna, I only get occasional bursts of static. I hope to change that soon, "somehow"... Discussing in another thread.

OK956

My problem is, I live about 30 miles or so - straight line - from Cherokee, so I'm not sure of my options listening in from home. With my factory telescoping antenna, I only get occasional bursts of static. I hope to change that soon, "somehow"... Discussing in another thread.

Yeah I'm about 17 miles from the yard and their radio traffic is also pretty staticy most times. But I definitely expect that given the distance.

From home though I'll pick up Springfield east and Tulsa Hall traffic good as they move through Claremore and Tiger Switch on just a stock rubber duck antenna at about 10 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.