Tulsa Repeaters - Newby needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
Received my first radio today (FT-60R/E), have tried a couple of local repeaters (146.88, & 443.85), even after hearing a couple of conversations, and have not been able to get any replies, I have set the PL tones, as well as the Repeater Offsets, is there something I'm missing, or are Thursdays just so dead that no one wants too talk?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Are you actually getting to the repeater? If so it might be that no one is on or they are hesitant to talk to a new voice.

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
Are you actually getting to the repeater? If so it might be that no one is on or they are hesitant to talk to a new voice.

Pretty sure I hit the 88 at least once earlier, I keyed the radio ("Key...Pause, & Speak), and the radio beeped as if telling me it had hit the repeater, have tried a couple times since and get no beep, but thinking I might have turned that off by accident (not sure), however my attempt on the 443.85 the operators that were talking just before me had very strong signals, I thought they would have heard me (repeater or not)...

LtDoc

I don't know the Tulsa repeaters but if you go to the ORSA (Oklahoma repeater society) web site they will have them. I also don't have the specific URL, but if you 'google' ORSA it should be listed.
- 'Doc

Go here;

www.oklahomarepeatersociety.org

Last edited:
Most of the Tulsa repeaters are located on the southside of town, I understand that the 88 may be in the process of being relocated at the CityPlex tower at ORU and may be off the air. The 443.85 should be up and would probably be your best bet, it's part of a wide area linked repeater system, the input frequency is 5 MHz up from your receive frequenct and requires a tone of 88.5. I suggest you vist the TRO and the TARC websites and check for recent status updates. I'm guessing by your username you're located in the general area south of the airport, if you have some elevation you might be able to hit the BA repeater on 146.91 minus offset with a tone of 88.5. There is a repeater in Owasso on 146.70 minus offset you may be able to hit. Don't get discouraged you will find some activity in the area. If you are just getting started a handheld is not always the best choice because of it's low power and limited range. A full blown transceiver in the house with an outside antenna is much more rewarding for getting your feet wet. Listen Saturday morning early theyh should be working the Route 66 Marathon, 146.88 (I think). Don't bother with trying 146.94 it's been off the air for a couple of years.

Last edited:

GSPD

It sounds like you may not actually be getting into the repeater. Most repeaters, when keyed up will sound a squelch tail or id depending on how it's set up. I'd check your offset and tones again to verify things are correct.

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you may not actually be getting into the repeater. Most repeaters, when keyed up will sound a squelch tail or id depending on how it's set up. I'd check your offset and tones again to verify things are correct.

Repeater: 146.880 (Output)
Offset: - 600Khz
PL Tone: 88.5

Dose that sound right?, can't think of anything else...

*Edit* Really sure I'm "Making the Trip" to the repeater, when I key up, (& give my call sign) I hear the repeater Identification right after I un-key...maybe just nobody wants too talk to the newb yet...lol, just wanna know my equipment is working right...

Last edited:
TRO has a problem with their receiver voting system, try a pl of 141.3 for the Cityplex receiver site. Male sure your offset is minus. 146.xxx offset is minus 600 KHz, 147.xxx offdet id plus 600 KHz.

GSPD

One other thing that came to mind when using Yaesu radios as I'm looking at my FT-60. A beep will sound after you key the mic if you have "Wires" function set. Check your SET button, second one from the left on the bottom row. Push on/ push off. If on, you'll see the icon in the upper right of the screen. You want this function off. If this is on, it will beep upon release of the PTT button even if you can't access a repeater.

Many new users will activate this function accidently on both the HT's and mobile radios(FT-8800).

Good luck........

UTLNOK

Premium Subscriber
One other thing that came to mind when using Yaesu radios as I'm looking at my FT-60. A beep will sound after you key the mic if you have "Wires" function set. Check your SET button, second one from the left on the bottom row. Push on/ push off. If on, you'll see the icon in the upper right of the screen. You want this function off. If this is on, it will beep upon release of the PTT button even if you can't access a repeater.

Many new users will activate this function accidently on both the HT's and mobile radios(FT-8800).

Good luck........

That could explain why I might not have hit the repeater for the first time or two, I believe it was set to on (by default), at some point I turned it off, but still was not getting replies...

I was able to make a contact today on the 146.880, with (I'm almost sure it was Mike from Skiatook, OK), sadly I could not copy his call sign, as he was on his way home, and his distance from the repeater hindered our contact, but apparently I am getting into the repeater, pretty good from what he told me. so I'm looking forward too hearing from more of you in the near future...Happy Holidays.

73, KF5MTX

P.S. Thanks everybody for your help, & suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.