Tuning a antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
This may seem like a dumb question to most but I am going to ask anyway. When someone says that they are tunning a antenna what exactly does this mean and how is it done?

fineshot1

This may seem like a dumb question to most but I am going to ask anyway. When someone says that they are tunning a antenna what exactly does this mean and how is it done?

Go here

Standing wave ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and scroll down to - Practical implications of SWR

read that - it is a technicle explanation and answer to your question
but in short one tunes an antenna by changing (pruning short or adding)
the length of the antenna and monitoring the swr and reaching a low
swr value.

k9rzz

Short answer: any antenna works best if it's adjusted properly for the frequency it's used at. AKA "Tuning".

prcguy

I generally use a small all metal hammer and tap on the antenna near the middle then cut the whip until I reach the desired note. For more bass you want a longer whip and more treble would be shorter.

In general, brass antenna elements have a sweeter tone.
prcguy

k9rzz

So for example how would I tune my RS800mhz antenna for the NJSP system?

What's a "RS800mhz antenna" and what does "NJSP" stand for? (model number? Radio type? Feed lines? New Jersey State Police?)

I can take a guess, and maybe get it right, but please, if you really want answers, SPELL IT OUT.

For example, would we be able to help you with your car if we didn't know what kind of car it was?

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
What's a "RS800mhz antenna" and what does "NJSP" stand for? (model number? Radio type? Feed lines? New Jersey State Police?)

I can take a guess, and maybe get it right, but please, if you really want answers, SPELL IT OUT.

For example, would we be able to help you with your car if we didn't know what kind of car it was?

Sorry for not being specific, the rs800mhz= radio shack 800mhz antenna/NJSP=New Jersey State Police, and I use the GRE PSR 500. Thank you and sorry for not explaing myself.

k9rzz

That's okay, glad to help.

Okay, still guessing here ... this antenna?

pRS1C-2264697w345.jpg

No tuning involved, there's nothing to adjust. Plug and play!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I generally use a small all metal hammer and tap on the antenna near the middle then cut the whip until I reach the desired note. For more bass you want a longer whip and more treble would be shorter.

In general, brass antenna elements have a sweeter tone.
prcguy

Also critical to the tuning process is the beer you drink while tuning. For example, Budweiser and Coors results in a rather flat note, and antennas tuned under the influence of these beers tend to perform poorly, and frequently require retuning.

Carlsberg Lager produces some pleasing harmonics to the tone when the antenna is struck with the hammer, and dark beers add a distorted quality that some people find quite pleasing.

n4yek

Also critical to the tuning process is the beer you drink while tuning. For example, Budweiser and Coors results in a rather flat note, and antennas tuned under the influence of these beers tend to perform poorly, and frequently require retuning.

Carlsberg Lager produces some pleasing harmonics to the tone when the antenna is struck with the hammer, and dark beers add a distorted quality that some people find quite pleasing.

:lol: :lol:

SCPD

QRT
Plug and play

I've read thru the whole thread, some funny answers.
You only really need to set the match on an antenna you are going to be transmitting on. For general scanning, just go buy an antenna that says it's for the bands you want to listen to.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all who gave helpful answers. I am new to this hobby and just trying to educate myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.