Turn you Uniden bcd996p2 desktop scanner into a mobile version easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's marketed as a mobile scanner. All you need to do is unplug the AC adapter and plug in a 12VDC power cord. Not sure why you felt the need to make 7-minute video to explain how to unplug one power cord and plug in another.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Good Lord, I have had the XT versions in mobile installs for several years, recently swapped them out for the P2 versions. (pssst, this is why they come with the mounting bracket and 12 volt cord)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Who makes this Kinoni remote desktop software? Has it ever undergone any kind of security review? You do realize that installing that sort of thing makes your computer far less secure, unless it is very carefully designed, and that many of these no-name software packages have back doors that allow unspecified third parties to access your keystrokes and computer in general. If the software is ad-supported, third-party access is pretty much a given.

Even if you have nothing of value on the remoted machine, unless it is properly sequestered in the DMZ of a good firewall, a compromised machine can be used to gain access to other machines on your home network that do have valuable data. One rogue machine can give an attacker access to your entire network.

Unless the software comes from a reputable source, and has been thorougly vetted for back doors and security holes by reputable cyber security experts, you are unwise to use it, and if you recommend it to others, you could be held liable if they suffered damages as a result.

lucky43113

Good Lord, I have had the XT versions in mobile installs for several years, recently swapped them out for the P2 versions. (pssst, this is why they come with the mounting bracket and 12 volt cord)

I know that but I walk most places so that won't work, I don't have a 12v battery in my back pocket

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So you recommend remote desktop software of dubious provenance as a solution...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't presume security from a few positive user reviews.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've been an IT professional for 20+ years, and all I can say is that you should be. Being complacent WILL eventually bite you in the backside. Even if the developer isn't deliberately malicious, there could very well be flaws in the product that hackers could exploit.

You're offering what is probably bad advice that could expose those who follow it to identity theft, financial theft, cyber stalking, and various other similar issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.