BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Turning Fave Lists on and off with startup QKs on the 436HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudsyjkh

Hi all.

Have had a 436HP for 2 months now, and have loved playing around with it so far.

Here’s my situation. I’m visually impaired, so using software with a screenreader, and using the radio interface itself by memory (key presses etc.).

So far I’ve been using 1 single FL.

Tomorrow I’ll be traveling for a month or so, without a computer.. .So hoping to use the 6 FLs I’ve created for each location I’ll be visiting; just turning them on/off as needed. I do not have any system or department QKs, I’ve only used the 0-9 startup QKs.

Now after reading the manual, and a couple posts here in the RR forums, thought I could literally just hit the startup QK I’ve picked in the software, (2 for example) followed by enter and that specific Fl and it would be turned on.. .Then that same number, followed by enter again to shut that FL down.

However, when I try hitting the numbers for FLs while scanning, I get some scan list menu, and can’t (quickly) turn these FLs on/off.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

FYI, Youtube links/manuals are *not* helpful; been there, done that, and is unhelpful in my personal situation.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you're confusing start-up keys with favorites lists quick keys. Favorites list quick keys will act as you describe.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, forget the Startup/Configuration keys for what you want to do.

Be sure that in your Profile all of the desired Favorites Lists are marked as Download On and Monitor On. Sometimes they can be off by default.

Also bear in mind that if you set Location Control to On for your Favorites Lists, they may not come on unless you are at the right location.

You may want to look at the very top row of the scanner display. You should see F0:*********, or F0:0123456789 or some combination of digits and asterisks. If you see dashes, as in F0:--------- something is amiss and programming of Favorites List Quick Keys is incorrect.

You are being exceptionally prudent to give things a test run before many a long trip and not having a scanner. Of course if everything fails, you can turn the full database on, being sure you set the appropriate zip code.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
When you are learning to operate this radio, it takes some time to grasp all you need to know.

I have my 436HP programmed to where I can toggle Favorites on and off. I use the FL QK and FL number tag, same number for both.

If you have checked all of the boxes associated associated with the "System Quick Key Status" and "Department Site Quick Key Status", you should be able to toggle Favorites on and off by entering the Favorite number and enter. Reverse procedure to turn back on.

If you discover that things are not working right on the trip, I would use the zip code until you can get the computer back. I no longer use my GPS.

Startup keys confused me for a very long time. After many years, I now have it mastered.

I press the number as the screen comes on. I have many favorite assigned to these 10 startup keys. When I open a startup key, I can still toggle the included Favorites on and off using the aforementioned method.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.