Turnpike question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Been noticing out here in District 1 some PSP units have Post-PTT GEStar identifiers blips. Are there units out east that have it. Think i also heard this on Dist 2

Is PSP getting new vhf radios in there cars for the turnpike

Frank N3OBL
FF/EMT

ctrabs74

n3obl said:
Been noticing out here in District 1 some PSP units have Post-PTT GEStar identifiers blips. Are there units out east that have it. Think i also heard this on Dist 2

If this is what I think you're referring to, I've heard the same thing on the PSP cars in District 4 (Morgantown to NJ State Line and NE Extension/Mainline to Lansdale) post-xmit. I can't speak to Dist 3 or 5, but I can confirm this is the case on Dist 4. I always thought this noice were exclusive to Motorola radios (I've heard this quite often on some Delaware County police and fire radios and on West Chester PD when in analog mode, only the sound occurs as the PTT is pressed; Upper Darby, however is an exception, but it might be because they're on VHF-Hi instead of UHF as the rest of the county is).

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I was on 76 from Harrisburg to about the Rt220/I99 area, most if not all had the Post-PTT on.

doctordave

Since you are on this topic....are the freqs listed under "PA Turnpike Commission" used by PSP exclusively or does PA have another agency (toll facilities police?) helping to patrol the turnpikes?

Are the car & troop transmissions fully repeated, such that only the output freq is needed to hear all transmissions (as opposed to most PSP pairings of different freqs for troop transmissions & car transmissions)?

druhe

Premium Subscriber
doctordave said:
Since you are on this topic....are the freqs listed under "PA Turnpike Commission" used by PSP exclusively or does PA have another agency (toll facilities police?) helping to patrol the turnpikes?

Are the car & troop transmissions fully repeated, such that only the output freq is needed to hear all transmissions (as opposed to most PSP pairings of different freqs for troop transmissions & car transmissions)?

The Pa Turnpike is patrolled by the Pennyslvania State Police. I believe it is Troop T but for some reason I think that may have changed. As for the radio system, the frequencies and Pl's that are listed here are correct. The only frequency that is not a repeater is 159.000. HiWay Maintenance, and road Service operates on the same frequencies.

ECHO3

At one time all PSP units serving turnpikes were assigned to one troop division. That unit has been disbanded and now units from adjacent troops serve sections of the turnpike.

ctrabs74

ECHO3 said:
At one time all PSP units serving turnpikes were assigned to one troop division. That unit has been disbanded and now units from adjacent troops serve sections of the turnpike.

You're thinking of non-toll expressways (ie. I-79 in Pittsburgh), which IIRC was known as Troop S; Troop T is still exists for Pa. Turnpike patrols (Bowmansville is Troop T-4, King of Prussia T-5; Pocono T-6).

ECHO3

Aren't PSP units identified by a 4 digit ID that are ptt activated? This can also be set for sending the id at the conclusion of the transmission as well. If so do the cars that serve both regular patrol and the turnpikes have the same ID? Fogelsville 15 is used for patrolling and also works on I-78. KP9 typically and other KP units work 476N/S to Quakertown or Allentown and units from the Pocono barracks cover the remaining territory

Last edited:

ctrabs74

ECHO3 said:
Aren't PSP units identified by a 4 digit ID that are ptt activated? This can also be set for sending the id at the conclusion of the transmission as well. If so do the cars that serve both regular patrol and the turnpikes have the same ID? Fogelsville 15 is used for patrolling and also works on I-78. KP9 typically works 476N to Allentown and units from the Pocono barracks cover the section north of Allentown.

I-78 is not part of the Pa. Turnpike system, so Fogelsville units can either be assigned to regular patrols (ie. municipal coverage) or highway patrols (ie. I-78/US 22).

PSP Troop T (Turnpike) coverage area is I-70 (Ohio state line to the 70/76 split), I-76 (70/76 split to Valley Forge), I-276 (Valley Forge to New Jersey state line), and I-476 (Mainline Turnpike to Scranton terminus). Note that I'm not sure if Troop T patrols the western toll roads (43, 60, 66) but I'm inclined to say that they do. Those units generally stay on the turnpike system (ie. you won't see a Troop T unit respond to calls off the turnpike that are normally covered by the local PSP stations; ie. you won't see a Bowmansville (turnpike) unit respond to an MVA off the turnpike in West Nantmeal Twp, which is PSP Embreeville area).

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The PTT information would be a 4 digit or hexidecmal number, unless they have the NYSP option that allows for letters greater than F. My guess is that even though the information is transmitted, its most likely using default values and not being decoded anywhere.

I have seen this before where the option is turned on, but not programmed. If anything, it lets other people know that the transmission has ended from the user. A poor mans roger beep if you will.

Either way without inside knowledge, its all specualtion. From experience, my vote would be for it was just turned on in a radio template and every reprogrammed car got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.