Turnpike Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does anyone have a list of the sites to monitor KHP for the entire length of the Kansas Turnpike?

shocker81

Turnpike sites.

All you need is right there in the KSICS freq list. Put in the digital control channels for it and then the talk groups for the Turnpike and you are set to go.

SCPD

QRT
Shocker81
Putting in the control channels isn't the problem. Which towers along the turnpike are carrying the traffic? Unless I missed something there is no reference to the particular sites along the road that carry the radio traffic. And putting every site into my 396T would be tedious, to say the least.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Follow Sites

Shocker81
Putting in the control channels isn't the problem. Which towers along the turnpike are carrying the traffic? Unless I missed something there is no reference to the particular sites along the road that carry the radio traffic. And putting every site into my 396T would be tedious, to say the least.

The only way that I successfully programmed the statewide Kansas system was to methodically go through all of the sites in close proximity to the highway or interstate of interest. For instance, I programmed the route from IH35 northeastward toward KC. Yes, it is tedious work, but it is well worth it. You will likely need to zoom in on the area you are wanting to program for the various toll roads in Kansas. Basically, I ended up programming the toll road from the Oklahoma-Kansas border to KC going on IH70.

Site Map: Kansas Statewide Interoperable Communication System (KSICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Kansas

It should be noted that those in the toll booths also function as look outs for the highway patrol. I've hear the toll booth radio troopers about all sorts of thing including, but not limited to: joints in the ashtray; children not in their restraint seats and open containers of alcohol (frequently).

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
The point that Shocker was trying to make is that even though there may be more than 77 towers in the system, there are only so many different frequencies used throughout it. Therefore, you will find that multiple towers across the state use the same control channels. As a result, simply by programming the control channels for the system most scanners will allow you to monitor the system as you move through it. Just an alternative to adding all the sites along the Pike.

In case you still want to do that though, here are the primary sites (from north to south):

Leavenworth County subsystem
Douglas County tower (soon to be the Douglas County subsystem)
Topeka tower
Eskridge Tower
Reading Tower
Cottonwood Falls Tower
Cassody Tower
Butler County subsystem
Wichita Tower
Mayfield Tower

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I picked up on the point that shocker81 was making, and I saw the re-use of the control freqs. Just haven't made up my mind as to which way to do it. Thanks for the list. I had actually looked at that with the link that Ensnared provided but I believe I might have missed a site that you listed.

nec911

The point that Shocker was trying to make is that even though there may be more than 77 towers in the system, there are only so many different frequencies used throughout it. Therefore, you will find that multiple towers across the state use the same control channels. As a result, simply by programming the control channels for the system most scanners will allow you to monitor the system as you move through it. Just an alternative to adding all the sites along the Pike.

In case you still want to do that though, here are the primary sites (from north to south):

Leavenworth County subsystem
Douglas County tower (soon to be the Douglas County subsystem)
Topeka tower
Eskridge Tower
Reading Tower
Cottonwood Falls Tower
Cassody Tower
Butler County subsystem
Wichita Tower
Mayfield Tower

I don't know if they are still using it or not KAA, but my ComL book from four years ago had the following in templates. They could have changed, but I know for sure that I had some very unfun conversations with KTA during the Reading tornado response taking so much tower space on three towers in that area.

Mission Tower has them on there for the areas east of speedway and into the downtown area where KTA originally ended years ago.
The Cassoday Tower has them on there in Butler County to cover the big hills down yonder there.

Status
Not open for further replies.