Turns off momentarily while starting car

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
My BCD536HP is wired directly to the battery of my car. When I turn off the car with the scanner running, it doesn't blink....when I restart the car, the scanner turns off for a second then comes back on as though I just turned it on.
This is a little weird....I don't understand why it happens.....I can live with it as long as it doesn't hurt the scanner.
I have to think this has happened to other owners but I did a search and came up with nothing.
Can anyone explain this? Does it impact the scanner at all?
Thanks

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Your car's battery voltage drops during cranking. The scanner resets to protect from corrupted data.

kb8rvp

BCD536HP Turns off momentarily while starting car

My BCD536HP is plugged into the accessory 12v plug and never rebooted when I started the car until the current firmware was released. Well that scanner got replaced by Uniden during the headphone jack repair and I received a brand new unit with the factory firmware and I am not having the issue with the scanner turning off and back on when I start the car. I will be waiting until Uniden fixes the issue before I do any firmware updates going forward because the scanner works great and stays on when I start the car. I don't know if they can fix it for everyone but it is possible but I don't know if they have a one size fits all.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
My BCD536HP is plugged into the accessory 12v plug and never rebooted when I started the car until the current firmware was released. Well that scanner got replaced by Uniden during the headphone jack repair and I received a brand new unit with the factory firmware and I am not having the issue with the scanner turning off and back on when I start the car. I will be waiting until Uniden fixes the issue before I do any firmware updates going forward because the scanner works great and stays on when I start the car. I don't know if they can fix it for everyone but it is possible but I don't know if they have a one size fits all.

Thanks,
Mike

Mine was fine before the that firmware upgrade also -- and today, I learned (but should have known) that when this "reboot" occurs, the radio loses any changes that had been made (enabled/disabled QKs, etc) since power up because it is now being improperly shutdown. Eventually, I expect this will corrupt the SD card also since I always have recording enabled.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I'm glad I found this forum to know I'm not crazy. I took this scanner out of my office and went movile with it especially after learning the BCD996p2 has issues when monitoring p2 and anything else.

For the amount of money we are spending really seems a shame that this happens.

Hope my SD card will be ok. Don't want to turn off the radio every rime I get out.

I'm on FW 1.03.03

Is that the latest?

Voyager

Your car's battery voltage drops during cranking. The scanner resets to protect from corrupted data.

I would think you meant "to (TRY TO) protect from corrupted data". Anytime you remove power from the scanner without shutting down first, you risk corrupted data, right?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Of the 3 scanners I currently have the 996XT keeps right on going, the 996P2 shuts off and back on, the 536HP shuts off after the engine starts not during and then turns back on.

Voyager

What you should do is install a second battery for the scanner that is charged by the vehicle but that the starter does not draw from, so it won't dip in power when the vehicle cranks and won't see the post-start voltage surges.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've had my 536 installed in my truck ever since they came out. It is on an ignition sensed power circuit.

I have yet to experience a problem and my vehicle starts several times per day, so I'm guessing after 1,000 power on cycles, no problems. But I do keep a spare SD card.

Over the years I have had scanners and two way radios in personal and fire department vehicles. Them "dropping out" during engine start, especially during cold weather, does happen.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's not really a UPS, from the look of it. It looks like a battery monitor that will cut off the power to the Dash Cam (or scanner) if the battery voltage drops below a certain level.

Voyager offers one solution, but that can take some wiring and a battery isolator. It also takes some room depending on what you use for a battery.

In an earlier thread, someone suggested a DC to DC converter, but I don't know if that will work either.

Just throwing this out there...

One possible solution from the "dash cam folks"

A car UPS.....

BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

Here's another product..

Free Express New Lukas LK 290 12 24VT Power Cable for Lukas Black Box B Type | eBay

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't a slow discharge capacitor inline with the scanner power line solve the problem? They use them with high end car stereo amps. Just a thought. The radio is designed to write what's needed to the sd card when the batteries are low. In your case, the power is just shutting off the radio , preventing it from properly writing what it needs to and or not compeleting it's power down cycle . In my opinion it's not a good thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.