Tuscaloosa FD is Digital!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
To all Tuscaloosa County residents...

It seems the Tuscaloosa Fire Department might have moved up to digital radios. I can't hear any voice transmissions, but instead... I hear buzzing. I couldn't hear their required morning pager tests!

I'm really hoping this change is temporary (or wish it would be)... or else I'm probably going to need a digital scanner.

Has anyone heard the same buzzing or any more info about this?

Randmaster

The Family Geek
Ugh... wouldn't it be great if it WAS temporary?

Since TFD is digital, the police department may be next.

As they say, though, "Why re-invent the wheel?"

medic9351301

Banned
tusc fire

i will have one of our units down there check it it out he has a digi radio

medic9351301

Banned
tusc fire

ok will do btw i had a business relationship with aj martin the cheif down there when i was at the ema in b-ham

CSL126

correct. the only one that I've actually heard p25 on is the dispatch frequency 154.400, but i'm sure they're using it on their other freqs too.

KD9Q

New in Ttown & P25 stuff

Moved here about a year ago to Ttown and had been pretty active back in Illinois with CARMA....are there any locals in TTOWN or the Ham that get together at all, swap freqs, help each other out with new technologies, etc? I have been monitoring TFD F1 in P25 with my XTS5000 handheld and note that they are station alerting in Analog using MDC1200 then sending a tone over P25 ( which sounds horrid because the vocoder in the radios cant reproduce an analog tone at all!) Have a BC996t in the car and a 396 to carry around.

I did notice the sheriff has several digital channels licensed but have yet to hear any traffic on them yet.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
I think you can try out the Tuscaloosa Amateur Radio Club if you're a HAM operator. Most people on this website too will swap frequencies with you... or I think the database has quite a few.

I'm not certain of the sheriff's updates...

I still wonder if the channel 3 of TFD will be P25. I remember right BEFORE they turned digital, they switched over to a "channel 5".

So far, channels 1 and 2 have been heard in P25.

Last edited:

NN4C

P25 on conventional channel?

How do I set my BCD396T to pick up TFD without setting that one frequency up as a "P25 system"? It picks it up as buzzing, too.

CSL126

TCSO has a new funky-looking antenna on the top of their building now. I'll try to get a picture of it to post on here. You guys in ttown might wanna drive by and have a look. I just thought it was interesting considering all of the changes being made around here...

Status
Not open for further replies.