TV and Radio Station Remote Broadcast Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not sure if the location makes a difference, but what has happened to them? Have they gone to Nextel?

SAR923

Some have gone to Nextel but a lot of stations still use the VHF and UHF radio links. Listen for traffic reporters at drive time and during live newscast and scan the media frequencies. You'll probably pick up at least a few.

af5rn

I assume you are talking about the frequencies they use for discussing news events and assignments, and not the frequencies they use for actually transmitting remote broadcasts. Around Dallas-Fort Worth, they all just use cellphones for general chit-chat about assignments. The assignments desk sends out assignments by alphanumeric pager, so as not to clue off the other stations to breaking stories. There is still a lot of talking on the news frequencies though. Frequently, the reporters or pilots or even the desk is so impatient that they go ahead and blurt it all out over the air. What I hear here most often is something like, "Fort Worth desk to Sky4, head towards North Arlington. I'm sending info to your alpha." Then all you have to do is tune in Arlington public safety to figure out what's going on and where. Usually they will say what the incident is on the news freq without revealing the exact location though.

But yeah, you hear a lot less on those channels than you used to here. The newspaper stopped using radio altogether quite a few years back.

SCPD

QRT
Some have gone to Nextel but a lot of stations still use the VHF and UHF radio links. Listen for traffic reporters at drive time and during live newscast and scan the media frequencies. You'll probably pick up at least a few.

I used to hear a lot of them. Recently I only heard one. Now I don't hear that one, not even during our local music festival which is going on now.

SCPD

QRT
I assume you are talking about the frequencies they use for discussing news events and assignments, and not the frequencies they use for actually transmitting remote broadcasts.

I'm referring to the frequencies in the 450 Mhz range that they use to cue the on scene reporters and such.

af5rn

Okay yeah, that's what I was talking about. Chances are they have either gone to a commercial trunking system or Nextel. We've used both in Dallas-Fort Worth, and both are more reliable and more private, which are both significant concerns in ENG.

n2mdk

Because digital scanners can only pick up APCO-25 type digital transmissions, Nextel uses iDEN TDMA configuration. Under US law it would be illegal to do so besides

SCPD

QRT
Because digital scanners can only pick up APCO-25 type digital transmissions, Nextel uses iDEN TDMA configuration. Under US law it would be illegal to do so besides

Ok.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

They use IDEN format, which is a two way radio standard that is not monitorable by consumer grade equipment. Your scanner can pick up the frequencies they use (of the 800mhz ones) but it's not useful. Such close proximity to business/public safety systems (and the interference they cause) is what is behind the 800mhz rebanding across the country.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Why? Nexhell is a two way radio service, it just happens to have some telephone interconnect features.

trimmerj

IP based codecs are catching on for Radio Remotes. With a Tieline and a wireless internet card you can do 7.5khz audio, with a customer's DSL line you can do even better. ISDN is still being used also, although the telco providers are starting to phase out the service in some of the big cities.

n2mdk

Why? Nexhell is a two way radio service, it just happens to have some telephone interconnect features.

Aren't the transmissions encrypted, I thought they were. Is it just a digital mode.

Last edited:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Aren't the transmissions encrypted, I thought they were. Is it just a digital mode.

They are probably not encrypted (like many public service systems are doing), but the fact the digital is not easily intercepted is most likely enough.

About the only thing I hear in the 450 range in South East Virginia is the metro traffic reports from their plane to the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.