TV Broadcast Tower Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

random

The 1225 ft. Scripps-Howard broadcast tower located about 4 miles north of Sand Springs is about to be extended in height. Right now there is a huge helicopter sitting on the ground nearby with several tower sections waiting to be installed.

This is the site:
http://www.antennasearch.com/sitest...st=getpage&ipos=3&registration_number=1010549

This looks real similar to the helicopter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-64_Skycrane

A couple of weeks ago, there was a crew boring under SH97 near the tower and they ran optical fiber to the utility pole across the street.

So, is this going to Channel 2's HDTV transmission tower?

random

I hope to get a few photos of the helicopter doing its job from my home about a mile away. Will post them if they are any good.

On another note, this is one of the very tall towers on a ridge that you can see from miles away in Tulsa as well as far west of Keystone Lake.

It is loaded with all kinds of antennas, like City of Sand Springs, Osage County, cell phone companies, etc. I hope nothing goes wrong with the tower extension or there might be a lot of services off-line :(

N5TWB

Well, slap me and color me clueless -- I live about a half-mile west of this site and didn't notice anything either when departing yesterday morning or returning last night. Miss a day on RR and look what happens...I am about to leave the office so I guess I will check it when I get there.

random

Well, the helicopter flew off some time Monday. The new sections are still sitting on the ground.

I don't know what the delay is, but the guy (Larry?) at the convenience store said they told him they were going to start on Monday. Probably found out they don't have all the right parts or something.

I was really hoping to get some good pics of it this week because I won't be around as much later :(

N5TWB

random said:
Well, the helicopter flew off some time Monday. The new sections are still sitting on the ground.

I don't know what the delay is, but the guy (Larry?) at the convenience store said they told him they were going to start on Monday. Probably found out they don't have all the right parts or something.

I was really hoping to get some good pics of it this week because I won't be around as much later :(

I won't be around at all next week or the week after so I hope somebody gets some pics and posts them.

I did notice that they have set the new guys to support the added load.

random

The extensions have not been added to the tower yet, but there has been a lot of activity.

There have been people working on the top section and they have added some kind of framework on the west side. They also appear to be taking apart the platform at the top.

The tower workers appear about the size of fleas at 1225 ft from about a mile away, using binoculars.

Maybe we'll see some big stuff happening soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.