TV Cable - Long Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hello, I need to run satellite TV cables in my new house. It's going to be long runs. Is there a better or lower loss cable than the standard RG-6 that I can use?

Thanks,

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
RG-11 is thicker (like RG-8) and is lower loss, but it's pretty big. You'd probably be better off with a pre-amp before the long run.

bharvey2

Unless you have some really long runs, you probably won't realize a significant benefit to running RG-11. You'd be better served by adhering to good design and installation practices: Use quality cable and connectors, avoid unterminated connections, keep splitters to a minimum, etc. If you find you need an amp, don't cheap out and keep it and any attenuation at the head end.

prcguy

How long is your run? You can do upward of 200ft of RG-6 with solid copper center conductor and the copper is needed to avoid DC voltage drop that power the equipment. RG-11 can double the distance. For more than that an amplifier is needed and there are lots of choices for that.
prcguy

lmrtek

I've ran rg6 hundreds of feet through hotels using a distribution amp.
Unless your house is as big as a soccer field, you likely won't need an amplifier or rg11

ASAD

I have already received RG11. It's quite thick. I will just use it up to the junction box, esp. outdoor.

JDrisc3480

I have already received RG11. It's quite thick. I will just use it up to the junction box, esp. outdoor.

If you have not done so already, route it through a piece of elbow PVC pipe where it goes underground and where it exits. That will protect it from getting nicked or cut when mowing the lawn.

ASAD

If you have not done so already, route it through a piece of elbow PVC pipe where it goes underground and where it exits. That will protect it from getting nicked or cut when mowing the lawn.

The antennas will be on top of the staircase, which is the highest structure in the house. We have enclosed PVC pipes and elbows in the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.