• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

tv, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

I'm selling one of my digital scanners- bc296 and poss buying an icom ic-r3. is there any amatuer, or other stuff rtty, weather fax, etc I might be able to see? I'm even thinking of monitoring the long range sw stuff cg,dea,fbi all that. which is why I'm looking at that radio - plus I can always play the local tv broadcast stuff on the wife to show the useful -ness of the radio to her - um-sell/buy factor-lol

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Joe and all,

Uh huh, lol. I can't say I'm a fan of those itty bitty screens, looking at it from a ham's perspective I prefer to use my IC-706Mk2G for the receiver and any one of several freeware programs for the display on the computer.

You won't find that "long range sw stuff" you mention on HF because it's mostly on VHF with some on UHF. About all you'll find on HF with regards to the USCG is regional weather broadcasts in SSB and FAX but there's lots of interesting utilities to monitor plus Amateur digital modes.

It seems to me you're asking questions before doing your homework, cheating will get you nothing but confused with the answers I expect you'll get. Your question is too broad as most are, I suggest you first find out what you want to monitor and then find a receiver capable of receiving it and a way to decode the digital stuff. You lumped three categories into one making any comprehensive answer impossible. Sort first, read the appropriate threads (the truth is out there) and ask only if you STILL have a question left to ask after reading all the answers.

Get ready for the question "Do you REALLY NEED that piece of junk when we already HAVE a TV?" and you'll be LOLing out the other side of your head if you give the wrong answer. Remember, to the XYL they're ALL wrong answers! L... O... L... OUCH! (;->)

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
kb2vxa said:
It seems to me you're asking questions before doing your homework,
Perhaps he is doing his "homework" :roll: :roll:

kb2vxa said:
Get ready for the question "Do you REALLY NEED that piece of junk when we already HAVE a TV?" and you'll be LOLing out the other side of your head if you give the wrong answer. Remember, to the XYL they're ALL wrong answers! L... O... L... OUCH! (;->)
JK!

Hello Joe. I have an IC-R3 myself. Their not to bad of a scaner/receiver, but video reception on higher frequencys is awful! Have to get one of those GRE amps that use a 9V and connects to the BNC connector.

You must also conceder the fact of HDTV. I don't think analog will be available anymore. Makes me wonder why they still sell the portable TVs. Granted you could use a converter. (PC or standard desktop unit)

SW is good but no SSB. I've heard that military bands are superb. I haven't tried this yet.

There is some what of a learning curve, as this unit uses the secondary type configuration for programing/features. You may know this already.

There is a hack to the R3 as well. http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42324

Are you not interested in DTRS anymore? Everything is going digital. I don't know, perhaps you have another digital.

http://icomamerica.com/products/receivers/r3/

BTW~ I use mine with wireless cameras around the house and with the RC Honda car. :lol: Get yourself a handheld PVR and you have yourself a nice little surveillance setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.