Tv sound i/o police

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo3

I have a Radio Shack Model Pro-2026 & it works great, except one minor glitch. I have programmed NYPD "Zone 31 104-112 476.7125" no PL code, I receive NYC TV Channel 5, when there is no trasmission on the freq., the squelch seems not to work on this freq.
Anybody has any suggestion or solution?.
Thank you.

W2PMX

Since channel 5 is nowhere near 476MHz, you're probably receiving intermod. (If you're in midtown, 90% of the RF in the air is intermod and other crud.) Other than using the attenuator, there's not much you can do, since the intermod is on the frequency you're listening to. (It's the product of two or more signals mixing.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
BOY, that's some pretty strong intermod but to be expected in the NYC metro area, if RF were light the city would look like a searchlight. Since carrier squelch doesn't work and I'm a bit surprised because you can hear the PD over it the only practical solutions are:
1) Apply the attenuator to this channel and try the squelch again.
2) Program PL/DPL if the transmitter uses it.

Check the RR database, you may have overlooked something.

W2PMX

I can recall using a Midland 450 commercial radio when I was helping a friend in the business - dead smack in the middle of midtown, around 44th and Broadway. The carrier squelch didn't close until we got to Queens. Lots of Gypsy taxi companies operating in midtown - high power and not a license (or a clue) in sight. It must have gotten worse in the years since then.

ecps92

Interesting, no one has made note of yet.

Your Scanner CAN'T pick up TV 5 anymore from the actual Station transmitter as they went Digital ! And nope it's not the same as P25 digital

Your Source is likely Cable TV Leakage or a rare Analog station repeating the Signal from the DTV audio of TV 5

I always have Cable issues wtith 467.7500 and 467.7750 from TV Land
North American cable television frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TV 5 moved for DTV Transition to 44 during the DTV phase-in
http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/New_York_NY.pdf

TV 38 [analog days] in Boston used to interfere with the FD's [Quincy] Truck Radios 483 Mhz - not close but add/subtract the IF of the radios etc etc etc

I have a Radio Shack Model Pro-2026 & it works great, except one minor glitch. I have programmed NYPD "Zone 31 104-112 476.7125" no PL code, I receive NYC TV Channel 5, when there is no trasmission on the freq., the squelch seems not to work on this freq.
Anybody has any suggestion or solution?.
Thank you.

stl or remotes

What you could be receiving is whats a studio to transmitter link or a remote broadcast crew frequency such as that on 450.2875MHZ ,450.3875,450.5125(wcbs880am radio),and so on .They use these frequencies to know when the studio cuts
to a commercial or to know when to do the news.Search 450-451MHZ next time this happens.
This could be removed with a variable filter ,I think scannermaster sells em.
Did you try the attenuator?
you could use a directional antenna to aim the scanner at the department also,like a yagi.

ecps92

ahh yes, wasn't thinking of those too. :p

Use a 2nd scanner and search 450-451 and 455-456 when it occurs.
the media has no real band plan so 450 or 455 could be used as the output [where-as the business and public safety do use +5 mhz as the inputs].

Does this occur ALL the time or only around NEWS broadcasts?

What you could be receiving is whats a studio to transmitter link or a remote broadcast crew frequency such as that on 450.2875MHZ ,450.3875,450.5125(wcbs880am radio),and so on .They use these frequencies to know when the studio cuts
to a commercial or to know when to do the news.Search 450-451MHZ next time this happens.
This could be removed with a variable filter ,I think scannermaster sells em.
Did you try the attenuator?
you could use a directional antenna to aim the scanner at the department also,like a yagi.

Status
Not open for further replies.