TV with only one RF input

Status
Not open for further replies.

elephant

I have a Samsung flat panel TV. The set has one RF input. I subscribe to cable TV and don't have a converter box (100 channels is enough). However, there are a lot of over the air local channels that our cable company doesn't carry. Since the TV only has one RF input, how can I have both cable and antenna hooked up at the same time? There is a button on the remote to select between cable and antenna.

I know I can buy an RF switcher, but I'm a lazy a** and that defeats the purpose of the ant/cable button on the remote. Is there a device that will combine the two signals.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you're that lazy nobody can help you so get off your butt and connect the cable and antenna through a switch like they do with an old Nintendo. That's the only way I can see it since cable and air use the same frequencies so it's an either-or situation, you can't have both at the same time. No, nothing will defeat the cable-air button on the remote, all that does is shift the frequencies in the tuner for the low and high band (ch2-13) signal offset and change bands for the cable only channels. In other words you have to use both in tandem and unless you like cables all over the floor you'll have to move your lazy self out of the chair to throw the switch.

Last edited:

fineshot1

I know I can buy an RF switcher, but I'm a lazy a** and that defeats the purpose of the ant/cable button on the remote. Is there a device that will combine the two signals.
The two should NEVER be combined. The cable carrier probably has some same channels as the over
the air channels and your TV could become a re-radiator of the cable channels.

Instead you should do exactly what you spoke of above, via the switch.

shaft

Premium Subscriber
The two should NEVER be combined. The cable carrier probably has some same channels as the over
the air channels and your TV could become a re-radiator of the cable channels.

Instead you should do exactly what you spoke of above, via the switch.
He probably wants to watch some HD programming that hasnt been heavily compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.