Twin Falls (IIMARS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryG

Premium Subscriber
I was here about 1-1/2 year ago seeking P25 purchase info. Seems the PD in a small town located 9 mi west of Twin Falls has installed mobile P25 radios, and I'm told, using them. This small department shares/uses the TF county sheriff freqs.

Can anyone here confirm P25 activity in this area? If so, is it encrypted as Boise is doing? Also, what Motorola system are they using? I'm looking at the PSR-800, but if the PSR-500 will work for this area, I'll buy it instead. Thank You

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I was here about 1-1/2 year ago seeking P25 purchase info. Seems the PD in a small town located 9 mi west of Twin Falls has installed mobile P25 radios, and I'm told, using them. This small department shares/uses the TF county sheriff freqs.

Can anyone here confirm P25 activity in this area? If so, is it encrypted as Boise is doing? Also, what Motorola system are they using? I'm looking at the PSR-800, but if the PSR-500 will work for this area, I'll buy it instead. Thank You

The ICAWIN (IMARS) Flat Top Butte transmitter near Jerome and the Mt. Harrison transmitter near Burley have both been operational for some time now and provide 700 MHz coverage in the Twin Falls area. I verified this when I was in Buhl (west of TF) about 6 months ago. The coverage in Buhl wasn't great, but I was able to receive Blaine County 700 MHz P25 transmissions from the Bellevue site using a mobile car antenna with both a 396XT and a PSR500.

I didn't hear any local TF area transmissions at that time. I know Jerome County does have 700 MHz radios in the testing phase and SIRCOM does have plans for migrating to 700 MHz. I can't verify any actual use since I haven't been there recently.

In any case, I am sure any P25 will be on the ICAWIN system and either the PSR800 or 500 will work. Fire/EMS will not be encrypted and law dispatch will probably not be encrypted, even if tactical and ops channels are. I believe any small PD agencies would be part of SIRCOM and they could be testing the system operational capabilities using a small agency to start with.

Dave

MaryG

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Dave,

There is still plenty of activity on 400mHz - most agencies. It's my understanding that Twin Falls City PD parted company with SIRCOM a while back (I'll confirm). How or if will effect the further expansion of 700mHz P25 in this area (Magic Valley), is unknown to me - wait'n see I guess.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes, Twin Falls City is no longer part of SIRCOM. I doubt it will have any effect on SIRCOM's plans for 700 MHz. I think the only limiting factor will be money availability.

The 5 county EICAWIN system in E Idaho is currently operating on 700 MHz with some agencies still using old UHF radios. But they are patched into the 700 MHz system such that either a 700 radio or a UHF or a VHF radio can operate on the 700 MHz system. Thus everyone can communicate on the 700 system no matter what radio they are using.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.