Twist On BNC Coax Connector: How To Install Help Req., Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

I figure that some of you folks are pretty sharp with this.

Just received via Amazon some twist on coax connectors for RG-58
Have never used twist on's before. It would be for a receiving only antenna hook-up.

They are one piece, cable to a Male BNC.
The male BNC has a center conductor showing, so I guess it doesn't use the coax center wire for the BNC directly.

They are from:
Allen Tel Products
P/N GBNC58-T

Can anyone please tell me how to use them with the RG 58 Coax ?

e.g. Do I have to strip the outer insullation to the braid
Do I have to strip the dielectric to the Copper center wire
If so, how far (for each) ?

And, how does the center Copper conductor of the Coax connect to the already installed
as part of this twist-on center pin of the connector.

Much thanks,
Appreciate the help,
Bob

BOBRR

Hi,
A bit of a followup.
I have a receive only aerial in the attic. RG 58 run from attic to scanner receiver on floor below. VHF/UHF frequencies.

The coax at the receiver presently has no connector.
Do I have to find a crimp (per suggestions) rather than a twist on, or can I simply run the center conductor
and braid into one of those red/black connectors that have a bnc on one end.

The other end is not a coax type of connector; it' simply a screw in for the center connector (red)
and the braid going to the black screw.

It's called, I think, a BNC to Dual Banana Plug

Think I would notice any difference if I did it this way, rather than a "true" coax at the end ?

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 4.18.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 4.18.36 PM.png
    98 KB · Views: 4

bharvey2

Ugh. Don't even go there.

Get proper connectors and an inexpensive crimper.

+1 If you're just crimping ends periodically, no name crimpers are usually okay. Dies are sized for the coax you're using. trying to troubleshoot a bad connector can be frustrating. While you have to pay for the crimper the first time, crimped connectors are the way to go. All that being said, if you have your heart set on the twist on connectors, you may need some trial and error unless you also have a stripping guide from the manufacturer. I'm guessing you'll need to have a bare center conductor and some length of exposed shield stripped away before you twist on the connector.

BOBRR

Hi,
Just want to learn.
Will buy a Crimping tool as suggested.

But, why won't a banana plug as I mentioned above work.

Why does the cable end have to be terminated in a true bnc; the Impedance would be pretty much the same
even with the banana plug, i would think.

I will use the crimped on, but would like to understand why a banana plug is "ugh", and to be avoided ?

Is it electrical (if so how ?), or just physically not as clean and takes more space up ?

Thanks,
Bob

bharvey2

Bob,
A lot would depend upon your total antenna set up and environment. If this were for listening only and indoors or temporary, The BNC /Banana plug connector may work. I've seen a lot of dipoles set up with those. However, They aren't weatherproof at all. In an attic, that may be of minimal concern in an arid area. My earlier comment was regarding the twist on BNC connector. There are just much better ways to terminate coax.

One of the benefits of coax is that it helps shield your feed line from unwanted signals/interference. Ideally, you'd switch from coax to your dipole far outside your house, minimizing the pickup of noise from fluorescent lights, cheap wall warts and such. If you attach this directly to your receiver, you may lose that benefit. (It isn't perfect though, you still may pick up some noise.) All that being said, if this is for receive only and is inside or temporary, go ahead and give it a try. You learn a lot from experimenting.

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks for thoughts on; appreciate very much.
Complex (for me) subject.

Will try and evaluate.

Regards,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.