Twitter Alerts Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

When it works, it works good, but when it quits, it don't work at all.
We used to have plenty of alerts daily, then nothing. You can't tell me that there are no members trying to input alerts.

I dont know exactly how Twitter works. We sign up for updates from a Twitter (site). But what if the owner of that Twitter site doesn't log in often enough? Can the Twitter site go dormant? I used to have Netscape email, but when I didn't sign in for some time, the email went dead.

All I know for sure, is that we are not getting any alerts and someone should figure out why.

N7YUO

OK, Utah_Viper is now in Michigan. When I PM'd him, this was our messages:

Re: Utah Alerts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7YUO
For some time now, there hve been very few if any alerts. None of the ones that I try to send have gone through. I used to receive my own alerts usually within a minute, but no more.

Since you now live in Michigan, is there some w ay someone else can take over the UtahAlerts thing?

Ryan has been doing it mostly. I can check a few things as well.

Ok, I am not trying to stir up trouble (I've been good at that) I just would like the alerts to be working again.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
There are 500 followers that would probably enjoy it working as well. It is something that frankly I just don't know a lot about. For example, who has access? How many people are trying to send out alerts? And so on.

Is there at least a little organization to it - or is it a free for all?

N7YUO

Twittermail problems

when I try to go to
http: // twittermail . com / it redirects to> http: // twittercounter . com / message:
Current message, Dec 13th
TwitterCounter has recently acquired TwitterMail.
We are in the process of moving TwitterMail to the TwitterCounter service
and integrating the two so you have one easy to manage interface to everything.
TwitterMail does work but it isn't possible to change settings or generate new accounts.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us or click here to continue.
contact us: email to> arjen @ twittercounter.com (remove spaces)
continue: http: // twittercounter . com / settings
old messages:
http: // twitter . com / Twittermail. When I go to this site, I discover that twittermail is blocked.
We apologize for recent downtime. We hope you guys will understand. We're in a new data centre so things will go better from now on.
5:07 PM Oct 28th from web

Our ISP had an argument with their data centre and moved our server without notice. Police turned up and trucks were blocked. Big drama.
5:04 PM Oct 28th from web

Twittermail is down because there was a power outage in the data center. We're trying to get things up again. #twittermail
2:55 AM Oct 28th from web

If you look up the name: UtahAlerts, you can find this information:
Name: UtahAlerts
Bio: Emergency Alerts for Utah
547 Followers including numerous media persons and law enforcement persons

Apparently, anyone using Twitter could sign up for alerts by choosing to "follow" UtahAlerts. However, the owner of UtahAlerts or someone with access to the account, could choose to deny persons from following.

When I look up my own Twitter account, I discover followers that I do not know, and I remove them.

Last edited:

Utah_Viper

Ryan had set up the email forwarding which is how some members get the alerts, however the current issues are with twittermail which is on the intake side so I am unsure any way around the current problems. Without giving each person the account login, and password (which is not a good choice) we had to use twittermail since you can easily email a single address and it posts to twitter.

N7YUO

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us
email to: arjen @ twittercounter.com (remove spaces)

You might contact them to see if they can resolve the problem.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
It is the twittermail that has to be used that goes down at times.

This is exactly right. Twittermail dies from time to time and the twitter service also dies from time to time. You can always go to: https://twitter.com/UtahAlerts to see what is been received and maybe not sent out. I know the last page I sent out is listed and that was on the 23rd.

When I started the notification list originally it was an email distribution list with just a few of my friends and I. Utah_Viper had the idea to take it to Twitter and we did. It has been a great services for many reason. 1) its free. 2) Anybody can sign up and there is no real administration needed from anybody. 3) It supports direct text messaging delivery instead of sending emails to phones 4) There is RSS feed capability.

A while back, somebody put an email thing up that would scan the twitter feed and send emails based on it (they come from utahalerts@utahradio.org). This might be an option for those that want to get it via email or are unsure of the twittermail service. I am on the distribution list but am not sure how to get other people added...

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
A while back, somebody put an email thing up that would scan the twitter feed and send emails based on it (they come from utahalerts@utahradio.org). This might be an option for those that want to get it via email or are unsure of the twittermail service. I am on the distribution list but am not sure how to get other people added...

Those come from my server. Send me a PM if you'd like to be added/removed.

LGLHOOK

I have been sending alerts for quite some time thanks to the help of UTAH VIPER. However, I tried to send a few alerts last week when WVCPD was chasing their own stolen cruiser. I sent them as I normally would have and within less than a minute I got a reply back from the Twitter address that said my phone was no longer authorized to send texts. I dont know what the hell is going on with Twitter, but I am sick of them and have lost all intrest in using the Twitter service. I will no longer send or recieve the alerts from this service. If anyone sets up a more reliable system let me know and I will be more than happy to send alerts while I am out and about during the day.

Fire822

Feed Provider
Alerts.

Incident Broadcast Network has an alert system set up.

The Incident Room

Or a mobile one once you are registered.

TIR :: Mobile Edition

I use it right now to send e-mail for us people up here in Cache for breaking incidents.
Right now it is only set up for Cache, Weber, & Box Elder. If anyone is interested we can set up the other counties.

Any questions let me know.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
...I sent them as I normally would have and within less than a minute I got a reply back from the Twitter address that said my phone was no longer authorized to send texts. I dont know what the hell is going on with Twitter, but I am sick of them and have lost all intrest in using the Twitter service. I will no longer send or recieve the alerts from this service. If anyone sets up a more reliable system let me know and I will be more than happy to send alerts while I am out and about during the day.

Ok, I just got the necessary login information to troubleshoot the issue. As you probably know already I just sent a test page and it worked. So what was the deal? The service known as Twitter Mail, apparently has changes some stuff and also the password on the Utah Alerts account was also changed. So basically, those issues have been resolved.

So everybody, please try sending some pages out over the next few days. I am sure with Christmas and New Years there will be some worthy incidents. I believe things are fixed and working but the only way to tell is for us to send some pages out.

Utah_Viper

Thank you for taking it over since im not there now. hope that it can get up and running again. i still follow the alerts and jump onto the online feeds from time to time

N7YUO

I have been sending alerts for quite some time thanks to the help of UTAH VIPER. However, I tried to send a few alerts last week when WVCPD was chasing their own stolen cruiser. I sent them as I normally would have and within less than a minute I got a reply back from the Twitter address that said my phone was no longer authorized to send texts.

Did you have a way to send texts to the alert? The only way I could send alerts was to send an email. It takes considerable time for the YahooMail to load, then compose, then send. I tried to send an alert yesterday, but it did not go through. Perhaps I am not "authorized"

LGLHOOK

Did you have a way to send texts to the alert? The only way I could send alerts was to send an email. It takes considerable time for the YahooMail to load, then compose, then send. I tried to send an alert yesterday, but it did not go through. Perhaps I am not "authorized"

Yea Viper set me up to send them via email or text from my phone because I was mobile all day with my scanner so instead of having to load my email, I would just send them by phone. I have just noticed in the past few months the service getting worse for both sending and recieving until I tried to send the last one and got the kick back reply from Twitter.

N7YUO

By email from home, it takes about five minutes to send an alert if all goes well:
1. Turn on computer and wait for it to boot up.
2. Log onto Windows and wait (each family member has their own logon)
3. Activate the Dialup4Less account and wait (if the phone isn't busy)
4. Click the shortcut to YahooMail and wait for IE & Yahoo to load.
5. Click Compose and enter the text, and email address
6. Send and wait to hear my alert on my phone.

From my cell phone, it isn't much better, since I have to"
bring up internet, select email, select Yahoo, scroll to Compose, you get the idea.
I would really like the option of sending alerts by text because I am mobile most of the day.

LGLHOOK

Unable to send alerts AGAIN :(

Can somebody please check the alert system again, I tried to send an alert the other day from my phone for a foot pursuit and it never came across either on the web or phone. I just tried to send an alert for a party trapped in an avalanche and it did not come across either.

Status
Not open for further replies.