Two alternate options for the car. Input from people who use either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
My main frequencies are a mix of 153.*** - 159.*** and 453.*** - 484.*** with the Mass State Police as my only 800 MHz trunked system I listen to. I generally have a scanner in the car and the reception is generally lousy (as I am sure most of you know). Unfortunately, an exterior antenna is out of the question, so I am looking at suction cup antennas. Will using one of these improve performance over the default antenna (on either a GRE PSR-300 or a Uniden BR330T). Some of the ones I have come across

Dual Suction Cup BNC Antenna Mount

Valor BNCSCRS

The above two are the two I think I would have the best luck with.

Also, I saw this and was curious what people had to say on this.

Opek AM801

Appears I lock it in on my window and use an antenna outside. How does something like this work, and what type of antenna would I mount to it (a stock rubber duck or something else).

I think I would prefer the suction cup if it is indeed an upgrade but figured I would throw both options out there.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
 
Last edited:

bee

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
1,049
Location
Belmont, Ms.
The "opek 801" is a mount for an "external antenna". Yes you could mount the rubber duck on it and it would help reception or "radio shack" sells an antenna that mounts on it. But, agin this is an external mount!
I have one with the radio shack antenna on it, and it works fine!
 

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
bee said:
The "opek 801" is a mount for an "external antenna". Yes you could mount the rubber duck on it and it would help reception or "radio shack" sells an antenna that mounts on it. But, agin this is an external mount!
I have one with the radio shack antenna on it, and it works fine!
Oh ok. So instead of mounting the external antenna on my car, I would mount it on there instead.

Makes sense.
 

scanner92us

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
102
Location
Somerset PA
The Opek Am801 would be the best. Any chance to get the antenna outside really helps. I've used something similar before, and it work decently.
 

N1BHH

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
1,843
Location
Jackson Square, East Weymouth, MA.
I have a Radio Shack version of that Opek, bought it many years ago, it works okay for when you are a passenger in someones car and don't want to have a mag mount. You just roll it up in your pocket, or a small bag (where I carry my radios) and just hook up your OEM duck and plug it into your radio and go. That AM800 is a new one, perfect for the new world of SMA connector radios.
 

fuzzymoto

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
1,046
As an alternative....

I have a hatch back and mounting an external antenna was out of the question for me also. I pulled up the corner of my carpet in the hatch area, and attached a magmount antenna to the metal chassis of the car. The antenna itself sticks up a little between the back of the rear seat and the front edge of the parcel tray. Mine works great. For comparison I ran the same mag-mount antenna out my sunroof and on the roof of the car. It was better, but only barely better in the limited testing I did.

This hatch-mount works surprisingly well for me and is completely stealthy.
 

Paulsan

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
223
Location
York PA
I had one of those window mounts. I believe it was a Maldol. I used it for 2 meter. The biggest problem was that when ever I would open the door, the coax would come out. When I would close the door I would have to make sure that the coax didn't get caught in the bottom threshold. This was the case even if the mount was placed as close to the hinge as possible. I hated it and replaced it with a mag mount antenna.
 

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
fuzzymoto said:
As an alternative....

I have a hatch back and mounting an external antenna was out of the question for me also. I pulled up the corner of my carpet in the hatch area, and attached a magmount antenna to the metal chassis of the car. The antenna itself sticks up a little between the back of the rear seat and the front edge of the parcel tray. Mine works great. For comparison I ran the same mag-mount antenna out my sunroof and on the roof of the car. It was better, but only barely better in the limited testing I did.

This hatch-mount works surprisingly well for me and is completely stealthy.
That is certainly an interesting concept. I will have to check out if I could do something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 

btritch

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
1,876
Location
Paragould/Greene County AR
On Glass

Have you thought about an on glass mobile scanner antenna, It looks just like a cellular phone antenna but it's actually a scanner antenna that goes on you window outside and in with coax coming from the inside, I used to have one awhile ago, I never used it much, I used a mag mount most of the time, It didn't really work that great but it DID beat the regular rubber duck antenna that came with the scanner it was better than it so that might be an option...
 

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
btritch said:
Have you thought about an on glass mobile scanner antenna, It looks just like a cellular phone antenna but it's actually a scanner antenna that goes on you window outside and in with coax coming from the inside, I used to have one awhile ago, I never used it much, I used a mag mount most of the time, It didn't really work that great but it DID beat the regular rubber duck antenna that came with the scanner it was better than it so that might be an option...
Do you have any through the glass antennas you would recomend?
 

bee

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
1,049
Location
Belmont, Ms.
Reception with a "through the glass antenna" is not very good, at all. Only with "near by" or strong transmissions!
 

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
bee said:
Reception with a "through the glass antenna" is not very good, at all. Only with "near by" or strong transmissions!
I see.

So basically for the car, one should spend money on a mag mount exterior antenna or save their money?

Seems to be what I am taking out of this. If so, then I need to start poking around the car and try to find a way to make that work. (Trying the idea shared above first).
 

bee

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 5, 2003
Messages
1,049
Location
Belmont, Ms.
Why is a mag mount out of the question?
I have a "pmm3b" from "universal" and it is very "light weight" and "low profile" about 13 inches long. Picks as well or better than anythiing I have tried!
 

Smerri

Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
233
Location
Massachusetts
Thank you Paulsan! A 13in Mag Mount (for $16.95) is something I will buy and work with. I can make that work for me. Thanks bee as well for the positive words on the scanner.
 

blackbelter

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Messages
96
I replaced my $90 NIL Jon, $80 Spectra with this little antenna and never looked back. 99% of my monitoring interests are on 800 Trunk and digital however it works well in the VHF and UHF as well. The value and the performance of this antenna is far beyond the $16.95.

Thanks,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top