Two brit hams arrested as spies in Albania . . . have a look at their gear . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
"Spy gear" "Electronic warefare" LOL

Looks like a bunch of Kenwood NX5000s series portable

Then again, for a lot of countries over there, simply possessing commercial gear capable of monitoring "government bands" gets you in trouble

Last edited:

KB2GOM

"Spy gear" "Electronic warefare" LOL

Looks like a bunch of Kenwood NX5000s series portable

Then again, for a lot of countries over there, simply possessing commercial gear capable of monitoring "government bands" gets you in trouble

So this is commercial gear? Do Brit hams typically use that type of gear? Just curious.

I use some Motorola gear on 2-meters, but it is not typical.

TELCO1

Doesn't look like any amateur gear I am familiar with . . . is it something else?

Brits with "Sophisticated Gear" WOW are they Hams ? Was it those Low Band Trunking Portables ? As Chirsmol1 Said An HT200 could be considered a Sophisticated radio in some counties , Just Don't get caught with 2 Tin Cans & a String !

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
So this is commercial gear? Do Brit hams typically use that type of gear? Just curious.

I use some Motorola gear on 2-meters, but it is not typical.

Tons of hams use commercial gear. I only own one "ham" rig and its for APRS. Everything else I have is commercial gear. I mostly run APX gear but still have some XTL/XTS stuff floating around.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
As far as the story goes, they either have a UK amateur license or they do not. Not difficult to ascertain. Why two supposed amateurs have four identical band radios is beyond me, short of wanting to sell some or all of them.

RFI-EMI-GUY

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
see wa88it's post ;)

I suspect MI6, or any other major intelligence agency, would be smarter than that, and have much better tools at their disposal.

There's nothing magical about these radios. Yes, they'll do encryption, all the way up to FIP-140 AES-256, but just about any LMR radio is capable of that either via software or internal encryption module. Heck, even LTE cell phones have encryption. You don't need a fancy radio for that.

This is either legit hams that made a poor choice, or someone try to smuggle something. Like most things, I'm sure there is a lot more to this story.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Tons of hams use commercial gear. I only own one "ham" rig and its for APRS. Everything else I have is commercial gear. I mostly run APX gear but still have some XTL/XTS stuff floating around.
And unless a specific amateur company repeater is used, like a Fusion repeater...Most ham repeaters are commercial mfg repeaters "re-tuned" to the amateur bands.
I only own one amateur mfg made radio, A kenwood. The rest is commercial mfg Motorola & Vertex gear

Status
Not open for further replies.