Two computer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my computer problem. I just did a return to factory default settings because my computer went goofy. I have Window 7 pro and something happened that made me return my computer to the factory setting. I cannot make and name a new folder anywhere, i cannot open a folder from the start menu like Accessories\command prompt. Whenever I try to access the accessories the start menu disappears? There are other things but i think that if I correct the above the rest will resolve themselves

Any help would be appreciated, I am running a full virus scan as i type.

Moonbounce

P.S. I should have added that after returning the computer to the factory setting, everything was running perfect until Microsoft downloaded 131 updates. After the updates downloaded and installed, that is when my problems began. This all took place since Yesterday.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Sounds like explorer went haywire. I would have done a system restore. If that doesn't fix it then back up your data and do a reinstall. Did you install anything prior to this happening?

You can use your Windows disk to do a system restore.

moonbounce

I did do a system restore but that didn't resolve the issue. I did an update to Norton Power Erasor the problems started after that. I think it screwed up my registry.

Moonbounce

QDP2012

If "returning to factory defaults" caused the system to work properly, and the updates later caused trouble, then you might need to revert back to factory defaults again, and then step through the updates one (or a few) at a time, and make sure at each step that the system is still behaving properly. If you identify an unwanted update, then you can skip it and move on. Also, some updates sometimes need to be installed in a certain order. So, stepping through them can help with this too.

Hope this helps,

moonbounce

Yeah, I think that returning the computer to factory default and starting over is going to be the only way to solve this problem. Thanks guys.

Moonbounce

moonbounce

Update: I accidentally solved my own problem. I was preparing the computer for the return to factory default settings. I disconnected all of my USB drives in the front of my computer, and noticed that I was able to click and open the computer Action Center, something I wasn't able to do before. So then I tried the programs/accessories and found it is now totally functional :). The problem turned out to be a USB hub I had been using, I disconnected the hub an now my computer is back to normal.

Moonbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.