• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two different p25 systems on same radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
In our area we have two different p25 systems. We routinely work with another agency on the other system. Is it possible to have both systems installed on our radios? Then we can just switch to the talkgroup we need when needing to talk to the other agency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That should not be a problem you should go through the other system administrator to get you radio programmed just as the other agency would have to go through your system administrator to get their radios programmed. As long as both system administrators are happy most radios will work like you ask. I just do not think you can scan both at the same time just one system or the other.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
In our area we have two different p25 systems. We routinely work with another agency on the other system. Is it possible to have both systems installed on our radios? Then we can just switch to the talkgroup we need when needing to talk to the other agency.

Do they both use the same frequency band? If not, you'll need multi-band radios. Beacoup dinero.

Are they both the same Phase? Depending on what phase your radios can handle, there may be issues.

You really need to lay some specifics about both systems on the table here if you want useful answers. Without that, any answers you get here are just speculation or WAG's (wild *** guesses.)

j0sh

Steve is right, specifics will help answer your question. However, FYI - we have multi-band radios that work between Harris and Motorola P25 systems and it works great. We just change zones/systems depending on what system we need to access.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
Our system is phase 1,the other system is statewide and up north they have some sites that are have upgraded to phase 2 but the sites all around us are still operating on phase 1.they are operating on the 8 00 frequency band as is our system. Our dispatch has the capability to patch both systems but rarely does.

Does this help?

medic29

Premium Subscriber
That should not be a problem you should go through the other system administrator to get you radio programmed just as the other agency would have to go through your system administrator to get their radios programmed. As long as both system administrators are happy most radios will work like you ask. I just do not think you can scan both at the same time just one system or the other.
Yeah, we know we would have to have permission from the system admin. We are trying to get away from having to carry 2 radios at an incident.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Our system is phase 1,the other system is statewide and up north they have some sites that are have upgraded to phase 2 but the sites all around us are still operating on phase 1.they are operating on the 8 00 frequency band as is our system. Our dispatch has the capability to patch both systems but rarely does.

Does this help?

The best thing to do is have your system admin and their system admin sort this out. They know what's required, and what radios in your inventory can do what you want. This really is a situation that needs to be handled by management of both agencies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
My question is more of information gathering. The systems have multiple agencies, mine is just one on there. We are trying to understand the possibility before we involve the red tape and power struggles of those who like to throw their power around and give the one jerk reaction of no, we can't do that.

I'm trying to gain information from those with knowledge. Once we have the information, then if we decide to move forward we will approach those in the system administration of both systems to see if they agree and to gain the needed permissions and our approval.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
The best thing to do is have your system admin and their system admin sort this out. They know what's required, and what radios in your inventory can do what you want. This really is a situation that needs to be handled by management of both agencies.
This isn't giving me any information. The system Admins aren't going to know off the top of their heads what equipment we have etc. Plus they aren't going to want to waste their time fielding questions. Our system admin is more worried about obtaining more money to upgrade his equipment, etc. Our requests are low priority. Thus the reason we are looking elsewhere to gain this knowledge. But thanks for the advice.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Glad to see you do the ground work before starting the working together process like I stated aslong as the radios will work and aslong as the admins are happy it will make the job better for all.

hitechRadio

The ops original question. To keep it simple!

Yes you can have multiple systems

And you can scan them (Multi-System Scan) however you will not have priority scanning, you can even add in conventional in the mix to scan.

We do not allow Multi-System scan due to no priority.

Side note: To bad the systems are not tied together, Like Interzone (more Involved) or ISSI8000, but that would make sense.

Out of curiosity what systems are you talking about?

medic29

Premium Subscriber
The ops original question. To keep it simple!

Yes you can have multiple systems

And you can scan them (Multi-System Scan) however you will not have priority scanning, you can even add in conventional in the mix to scan.

We do not allow Multi-System scan due to no priority.

Side note: To bad the systems are not tied together, Like Interzone (more Involved) or ISSI8000, but that would make sense.

Out of curiosity what systems are you talking about?

PM Sent

Last edited:

evfd1625

Based on where you are from, if it's Starcom and MDICE, if allowed you can have both systems programmed in one radio. Any radio capable of doing one can do the other as they are both 800 and P25. If using a phase one radio you will be limited to the phase 1 talkgroups on Starcom, which shouldn't be a problem there. However, Starcom charges a subscriber fee, which may or may not be an issue for your agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medic29

Premium Subscriber
Based on where you are from, if it's Starcom and MDICE, if allowed you can have both systems programmed in one radio. Any radio capable of doing one can do the other as they are both 800 and P25. If using a phase one radio you will be limited to the phase 1 talkgroups on Starcom, which shouldn't be a problem there. However, Starcom charges a subscriber fee, which may or may not be an issue for your agency.

Starcomm is said to waive any fees if the access is only used in emergency, mutual aid situations.

evfd1625

Starcomm is said to waive any fees if the access is only used in emergency, mutual aid situations.

That's good, when I lived in southern IL our fire department was so paranoid about user fees the radios were locked up forever.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
That's good, when I lived in southern IL our fire department was so paranoid about user fees the radios were locked up forever.

A few months ago those who were not paying the fees had to turn the radios back in. Those radios didn't have the talk groups in them that we are talking about though.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
My question is more of information gathering. The systems have multiple agencies, mine is just one on there. We are trying to understand the possibility before we involve the red tape and power struggles of those who like to throw their power around and give the one jerk reaction of no, we can't do that.

I'm trying to gain information from those with knowledge. Once we have the information, then if we decide to move forward we will approach those in the system administration of both systems to see if they agree and to gain the needed permissions and our approval.

It's easily done, even on a fairly basic radio (as long as all the systems are 700/800). Multiple bands merely means a more expensive radio. We do this here in my area on a daily basis; our current template has five different P25 systems and everything works just fine.

It shouldn't matter that some sites of one system are Phase I and others are Phase II; in a mixed mode situation like that it's probable that the Phase II sites can revert a talkgroup back to Phase I if a radio not capable of Phase II affiliates. Alternatively, the system administrator of the other system can arrange the settings in the system so that the radio IDs for your agency are limited to Phase I sites only.

So in a nutshell, it's easily done from a technical standpoint; whether the system administrators are willing to make it happen is another matter (I'd find it unusual if they did not want to make it happen).

Status
Not open for further replies.