Two New scanners coming out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin84065

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed type acceptance on the fcc database for two new rs models.
They are both being made by uniden, 1st is a handheld looks like the pro-94, the fcc id is amwub344. the second is a base/mobile fcc id amwub345. Has anyone else noticed this?
I did notice that radio shack's catalog number will be 20-433 for the handheld.
Justin

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's already in the wiki. I'm bringing the printouts to myfriend (a RS manager) tomorrow. He loves to hear about the new scanners before corperate tells him :D

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
lastweek.mbe.jpg

Before you get all upset understand I'M KIDDING!!!! We appreciate you letting us know but as Grog mentioned above we have Wiki pages made on both models as well as discussions here in this forum about these 2 radios...looks like these radios will be collecting dust on Rat-Shack store shelves as there is nothing special about either radio....
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

Justin84065

Premium Subscriber
Saw the info on wiki but!!!

I don't think that the models will be pro-528 or pro-433 that seems to odd.
I did see that the catalog number for one is 20-433, It would make sense that it will be a pro-98 or pro-2058 something like that. Just a thought
Justin

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well if you look at the manuals you will see the model numbers called out and that equals the catalog number as well. They are running out of PRO-9x numbers and would be in the 1xx anyway.

I'm thinking that they may be firmware upgradeable because they are Uniden OEM and rebanding is due to hit real soon. Not much use to put out a TrunkTracker III without firmware upgrade in this stage of the game, unless the plan is to release the scanners after rebanding starts.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Here you go:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E3775205D
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U5672105D

The 433 looks to be a Uniden mirror of the PRO-2055, or a watered down BCT-8, and the 528 a PRO-94(C?) cousin.

Manual references the 20-289 PC/IF cable. Again memory upload, no computer control. Someone said the 20-289 is dicontinued. It is listed in the manual (although preliminary O/M) does not mention use of the new USB 20-427 interface cable.

RadioShack continues to reference the "Trunking Scanner" web page, but it has yet to be updated from 2002: http://www.trunkscanner.com/

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DaveIN said:
The 433 looks to be a Uniden mirror of the PRO-2055, or a watered down BCT-8

Not quite, as the new scanner does not offer any ctcss or alpha tags.

I really can't see why anyone would introduce a trunktracking scanner that does not have text tag capability. It's not like it's 1997, and we were just happy that we could follow a moto 800 system.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Grog said:
Not quite, as the new scanner does not offer any ctcss or alpha tags.

I really can't see why anyone would introduce a trunktracking scanner that does not have text tag capability. It's not like it's 1997, and we were just happy that we could follow a moto 800 system.

I guess that was FIPS codes fore Weather alert...

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
I agree... no text tags means I have to memorize a ba-zillion tg's... and no tone? what were they thinking.... unless they don't intend for their radios to work anywhere but a very rural area....within range of my antenna at home I have three different agencies in three different directions using 155.10000; 155.41500 is the same story...no tone read out sometimes means I gotta go to the atlas to figure out who is talking....

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
unitcharlie said:
I agree... no text tags means I have to memorize a ba-zillion tg's... and no tone? what were they thinking.... unless they don't intend for their radios to work anywhere but a very rural area....within range of my antenna at home I have three different agencies in three different directions using 155.10000; 155.41500 is the same story...no tone read out sometimes means I gotta go to the atlas to figure out who is talking....

Yep, that's soooo 80's. We all want new tech, but then the 2054 is the same way, only without Trunk Scanning. They must think that there is a market for it or RadioShack would not sell them (or at least try to sell them). The PRO-2054 hit the shelf at the discontinued price.

ernesTbud

rs new radios????

looks like a 94 that they added ltr too and allowed it for use after rebanding in other words just a slightly up-dated 94 count me out I think I will go with the 996t or the bc 15 might be a little more $$$$ but with a heck of alot more punch

jeffrey420

Choices???

KE4ZNR said:
lastweek.mbe.jpg

Before you get all upset understand I'M KIDDING!!!! We appreciate you letting us know but as Grog mentioned above we have Wiki pages made on both models as well as discussions here in this forum about these 2 radios...looks like these radios will be collecting dust on Rat-Shack store shelves as there is nothing special about either radio....
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

I think a better idea would be to take the PRO-97, make it firmware upgradable & digital capable, and throw in the 700mhz band TRS of coarse. Change the name to PRO-97D and that's a winner!

scanjunkie

jeffrey420 said:
I think a better idea would be to take the PRO-97, make it firmware upgradable & digital capable, and throw in the 700mhz band TRS of coarse. Change the name to PRO-97D and that's a winner!
I would definitely buy that unit...GREAT idea!!!

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Well thats 2 more crappy radios to add to their list... I guess they really don't listen to what people want.

N

NWTSCL

Grog said:
I really can't see why anyone would introduce a trunktracking scanner that does not have text tag capability.
Because so many people have complained about the complexity of programming text tags and all the other flashy, whiz-bang features of the recently released scanners. Such people want simpler options. If they want text tags and all the other showiness, they'd buy what is ALREADY on the market.

People will want these scanners because of their simplicity. Simplicity is a perfect reason to market them.

Last edited:
N

NWTSCL

Dubbin said:
Well thats 2 more crappy radios to add to their list... I guess they really don't listen to what people want.
That is in the eye of the beholder. One man's junk is another man's treasure. You may not want them -- and that's fine. But you don't speak for everyone.

ernesTbud

if you lived in a relatively small community these two scanners might be ok BUT if you live where there is a large trunking system you would have to have one hell of a memory to keep up with the tags I like having the tags myself

scnnr

scanjunkie said:
I would definitely buy that unit...GREAT idea!!!
Agree 100% with that. Radio Shack ( GRE ) had better make a announcement on something new along those lines before the summer is out or I am going to have to think about gettng a 396 towards the end of the summer. I have been holding off on that due to the annoying machine gun braaaappp on our Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink system here in Manitoba with the Uniden digital models. That is the only reason I have been waiting patiently to see if something new is about to make the news from the Shack..

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.