Two questions about the BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to order my 536HP very soon and I have a couple of questions....

1. Can I program my 536HP by scrolling through it's database and picking out what I want for a favorite list like I do with my HP-1 or do I have to use the software? I'm aware I can manually enter freq's....no thank you!

2. I'm going to ISO mount my 536HP in my car. Can I plug in my GPS puck into the mini USB I see to the right of the micro SD? I read about the 9 pin plug on the back of the scanner but that won't work for this application.

Thank you in advance,
Terry

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Dont know about #1, but no, you have to use the serial DB connector on the back for the GPS. I tried it on the front, and it wont work.

SCPD

QRT
1.No,you put the zip code pick a range and you can edit it once you create a Favorites list.
2.db9 must be used

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Thank you......I wonder why Uniden would make the 536 so it would be used in a "din" application, to the extent they supply a din sleeve, and then make the GPS so difficult to use, when the last new scanner they produced, HP-1, had a mini USB port that was used for the GPS puck and worked fine?
Totally rethinking spending $600.00 for the 536 and keeping my 996 in the dash. I know you can update the 536 using the micro SD.....But I can update my 996 from computer to my car via 30' USB cable.
Thank you for the replies.
T

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1. Yes, you can manually add similarly to the way the HP-1 works. While stopped on the channel you want to add, you simply press "E".

2. It is not possible to use any scanner with a USB GPS, including the HP-1. The BCD536HP's GPS connection is the same as all our mobile models, and uses the industry-standard DB-9 connector on the rear of the scanner. The HP-1 does not use the mini-USB for the GPS connection, the mini-USB is strictly for connecting to a PC to apply database and firmware updates.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for your reply Upman, my mistake when I used the term "Mini USB" to describe how the GPS is connected. What I should've said was I wish there was a connection on the face of the 536 similar to the one on the 436 to connect a GPS Puck to.
Could I just run a short 9 pin serial cable extension from behind the unit out under the dash in my car and connect the puck to that when I need it?
Thanks again
T

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Yes, with the correct materials you can use only the number and length of wires require and make a very clean and minimal pigtail. I do it in the ham shack all the time as getting to the back of a radio can be a pain.
Mike

snip...l

Could I just run a short 9 pin serial cable extension from behind the unit out under the dash in my car and connect the puck to that when I need it?
Thanks again
T

AC2OY

1. Yes, you can manually add similarly to the way the HP-1 works. While stopped on the channel you want to add, you simply press "E".

2. It is not possible to use any scanner with a USB GPS, including the HP-1. The BCD536HP's GPS connection is the same as all our mobile models, and uses the industry-standard DB-9 connector on the rear of the scanner. The HP-1 does not use the mini-USB for the GPS connection, the mini-USB is strictly for connecting to a PC to apply database and firmware updates.

Paul you just stirred my attention on something,if I get a hit on let's say my favorite police channel,can I hit e and make a mini list right from the scanner and toggle it back an forth. If I hear sirens just do the 3 police frequencies and SPEN 1 if there chasing somebody or do I have to create another favorite list in the software and try and figure to toggle back and forth at a moments notice?

j1place

I just think the software over trying to use the control on unit is so much easier and you don,t get eye strain when using the zip code method you get overloaded with info but you can turn off the services and change the range, but i know what i'm wanting to listen to so the favorites list made with the software is the way to fly for me, still learning on the trunking system but all the options are there.
jack

Status
Not open for further replies.